Chapter Seventeen

I screamed and jolted out of bed, my hands and face sweaty. No. He’s not out of jail. He can’t be out of jail. I pant loudly and look around. Just a nightmare. I’m safe. He’s not here. He’s not here.

I see the light flicker on and my breathing turns heavy. Nono, he can’t be here, in my room, no, not my room! I scream as I place my hands up in defense, getting ready to be hit.

“Ren? Are you alright? Sorry if I scared you, I heard a scream, I wanted to check up on you,” someone says, but i’m too drowned in my thoughts to notice. He’s going to kill me. I froze in my position, my chest rising and falling as I breathed heavily. 

I feel an arm snake around my shoulder, and I push it away forcefully, “Don’t touch me!” I scream, my vision blurry as I picture those electric blue eyes in front of me.

On anyone else it would have been stunning, but on him, it shows how cruel of a monster he is. Icy, cold, and a monster. That is all he will ever be to me. 

“Hey, it’s just me, Kayden. Remember you let me stay the night?” a voice says unsurely. NO. Kay is dead, Kay isn’t here, he is trying to manipulate me. “Kay is dead!” I shout at him. I don’t know why i’m explaining myself to this monster.

“No baby, i’m right here. Don’t worry, I’m here, you’re safe,” he says as he holds me. I break down sobbing. It’s Kay. He’s here. He saved me.

“He’s horrible Kay. He keeps coming back, even when he's locked up. It’s not fair,” I cry as he holds me tight.  “Shh I know, but you need to get some sleep-” Kay tries but I scream, “NO! He’s gonna come back if I close my eyes, I-I-” i struggle, the tears constricting my throat, preventing me from speaking.

I clutched onto Kay for dear life, not wanting to ever let go. I’m scared he will come after me, Kay is my only protection. “It’s okay. Don’t close your eyes, just lay in bed okay. I’ll come and check up on you in a bit” he says, letting go of me.

“No. Please, please don’t leave me alone with him, Kay. Please, I’m begging you, he’s a monster.” I beg, quaking, as I clutched his wrist tightly, not wanting to let go. 

He lets out a long sigh, giving in to me. "Alright, I'll stay with you," and I give him a small smile in return. I still don't let go of his hand, and with his free hand he turns off the lamp and I shiver from the cold air.

I was only wearing a t-shirt and joggers and it didn't help that it was-I look at my clock- 2 am right now. I seriously need to go back to sleep, but I can't. 

He's always just lurking around, waiting for the moment I close my eyes, and then he pounces at me. I can feel the bags under my eyes, and I'm exhausted from all that crying.

Kay was only wearing a shirt and some shorts, but I didn't even care. I just want him to be here in case something happens. My mom is such a heavy sleeper, she can sleep through anything. I wish I was like that.

I lay on the bed and scooted to the left so Kay could lie down. I can't believe I had a panic attack in front of him, on the day that I met him. What will he think of me?

My eyes are wide away as I stare at the white wall. I feel the bed dip and feel body warmth radiating from behind me. Don't turn around. Don't turn around.

It's Kay. He's here to help you.  Everything is going to be okay. 

I turned around on the bed to see Kay looking at me, those emerald eyes had a soothing effect on me; they made me feel calm.

"Everything is going to be alright Ren. I promise," he whispers softly as he leans over and places a kiss on my left cheek. His gentle voice soothed me, and I fluttered my eyes closed.