Chapter Twenty-four

Kayden P.O.V.

Serenity walked around her room, almost pacing into herself. I can't even tell if she is drunk or sober-I don't know how a drunk Serenity looks like?!

She trips over air and I wrap my arms around her torso, catching her right before so fell to the ground. Seriously this girl!

Still under this position, she looks up at me innocently, with wide eyes and a doe-like face, staring at me. So many emotions rushed through me as I saw that look in her eyes. Okay she's drunk.

I quickly shook those thoughts away and put her back on her feet and she frolicked to her bed. Not knowing what to do, I sat on the other end, about 3 or 4 feet away from her. 

She affects me so much and she doesn't even realize it. I understand she's going through a lot right now, but I'm hurting too. 

"Oh Ren, I'm moving out of your house tomorrow, the apartment is ready," I inform her and she smiles sadly. "Cool," she replies," Now can we get popcorn?!!" She asks excitedly.

I didn't know that when Ren got drunk she would be a literal 5 year old. It's kinda cute though, why can't  she be like this all the time?

I checked the time-okay we can have popcorn at 12:48 A.M. that's um fine I guess? Anything to see her smile like that.

"Sure. How about you get changed and I'll change and get the popcorn for you?" I ask her and she nods thoroughly at me, and I grin at her adorableness. Adorableness, is that even a word??

Wait Ren can barely walk, how can she get dressed? If I have to change her I-

I shook those thoughts as I put on some shorts and take off my shirt in an attempt to find something comfy. I can't sleep next to Serenity shirtless. Or can I?

Maybe that will make her want me. I want her to want me-scratch that I need her to. I've never felt so desperate for something in my life before.

Serenity tells, "I got it!" but I'm obviously closer to the door so I get there first, surprisingly Ren right behind me. Damn that girl has determination.

When we were younger we used to always race for the doorbell when we were staying at each other's places. We would keep a score to see who got the most.  She is surprisingly good at doing that!

Serenity panted for air, her hair demonstrating a mess, which I found so cute. She had changed into a tank top and some shorts and I had to look away quickly from her, afraid I- You get the memo.

I unlocked the door, but just before I saw who it was, I realized what I was wearing- I'm shirtless and I'm only wearing shorts- sh*t this isn't going to end well.

"Hey uh I know it's late but I-" Shawn starts but stops dead in his tracks when he looks at us. His eyes widen in shock and Shawn's eyes darkened a little. 

"Hey man I promise you it's not what it looks like-" I say, not wanting to ruin whatever is going on between them.

"So while I was sitting at home thinking about what on Earth I had done wrong, you are here with him, doing God knows what? I can't believe you would stoop this low Serenity!" Shawn shouts at Ren, so much anger and hurt in his voice.

Serenity flinched at his booming voice and her eyes watered slightly at his words.. Oh God."Hey don't speak to her like that!" I defend Serenity, staring down at Shawn. His fierce eyes gaze upon me angrily.

"Sorry I interrupted your makeout session. It's not like I came here to fix us or anything. You can carry on." Shawn says menacingly and he turns completely to face Serenity.

"I thought I knew you Serenity Falls. Guess I was wrong about you," was all he says as he walks away, stepping on the rose he was holding on the way out.

What have I done?! God I didn't mean to do anything, I swear!! I've just messed everything up.

I shut the door and look at Serenity, sho looks like she is about to cry. I squeeze her right shoulder in an attempt to comfort her. I seriously am so bad at dealing with emotions.

"I deserve it," is the first thing Ren says to me. "I'm a horrible person, no wonder he hates me," she says quietly, thinking I couldn't hear her. She wasn't as drunk as when she wanted popcorn, which is a good sign right now.

"Shh, baby he doesn't hate you, don't you see the way he looks at you? He's just..confused that's all, all he can see is red. He just needs time to calm down," I tell her softly.

Wait, did I just call her baby again? Oh my God I seriously need to stop.

"But we weren't even doing anything Kay! He just assumed and wouldn't even let us explain what happened! That's not fair!" Serenity announced, and that's true.

"Yeah. He'll come around Ren, don't worry," he say to her and she nods gratefully at me. I think this whole conversation sobered her up. I kinda miss the 5-year old Serenity though. I wanna see her appear again.

"Thanks Kay, you're the best friend I could ever ask for," she says placing a tender kiss on my forehead. Her lips pressed onto my skin briefly, just before I could even enjoy it.

Best friend. That's all I'll ever be to you. Nothing more, nothing less. I thought that's what I wanted, now I'm not so sure. I haven't been sure of anything lately, since meeting Ren again.