Chapter Fifty

Shawn P.O.V.

I have to go to the studio today. I'm not looking forward to Andrew yelling at me. I know im going to have to listen to it eventually.

I greet all the people that work for me with a light smile. I reach the studio and hug Brian when I see him. He's been my best friend since I was 6! "Long time no see dude," I says as we do our manly handshake. At least, I think it's manly. "Glad you're back to your usual self," he says and I smile.

 It's true. I feel better because of her call yesterday. She makes everything better.

"Hey Shawn, glad to see you back," Andrew says, patting my back with a fake smile. I forced myself to be polite and smiled back at him. 

"Have you worked on any new songs?" I nodded at them. Because of Serenity, I'm almost done with an entire album. "I've got twelve. Almost a full album," I say. Everyone looked surprised. "Wow, you've really been busy then," Andrew says, subtly hinting at my hickey and I turn so it's out of his view. 

"Hey Shawn, I need to talk to you," he says, walking into the recording room. Brian sends me a look and I nod. I'm absolutely ready to be yelled at in the soundproof recording room.

I walk in to see Andrew waiting. He closes the door. "Listen, you've been gone for more than 2 months, and you've been doing everything I told you specifically not to do! You were spotted in Canada with a girl going to a Drake concert! And now, months later you show up with a hickey on your neck for everyone to see! Do you even care about your reputation?!" I flinch at his words.

"I do, its just.." I run my fingers through my hair, "I can't keep living like this. I finally found someone I really like, for the first time. Please understand that I just can't pretend that I can live like this, because Its not living," I say with as much strength as I can muster.

Andrew sighs, letting me know he has given in. I never thought he would agree this easily. "Alright. You can have a relationship with her. Is she willing to enter the media?" He asks. I think back to when she said she would do anything for me. "Yes. Yes she is." 

He pondered for a moment. "When can she come here?" Is he being serious? This can't be real.

"I don't know, I'll have to talk to her. I'm not sure she's comfortable traveling alone," I ponder. Would her mom go with her? "Okay. You do that and then come talk to me so I can arrange a private plane for you to bring her." 

Maybe Andrew isn't as bad as I thought he was. "Thank you," I say, surprising him and myself by pulling him into a hug.

***

"Wanna vid call?" I text her, staring at the screen as those three little dots appear. Those dots give me so much anxiety. "Sure." I smile at her reply, trying to fix my hair.

"Hi," she says through the camera. I could see that she had not slept well the previous nights-we were fighting then. Neither have I. 

Conversation flows easily as I listen to her go on about her day, her eyes sparkling a beautiful grey with flecks of blue.

 When she asked me how my day was, I took the opportunity.  "I um..talked to my manager. He was wondering if you were willing to come over here for a bit," I nervously await her answer.  She blinks repeatedly, surprised. "But the plane ticket-" I shake my head, "Nono he is already taking care of all that. Do you want to?" I state simply.

"I want to," she says, her voice a little breathy and I smile, texting Andrew from my phone, "She said yes. How soon?" I see the three dots appear on my screen and he replies, "tomorrow, 8 am?" 

"Is tomorrow around 12 am ok?" I ask her and she nods and smiles. I reply with a thumbs up to Andrew. "I can't believe I'm coming," she admits. "Me neither, but my family is going to be ecstatic that you can meet them." 

She bites her lip, and I couldn't help but stare at them, suddenly having a strong desire to grab her face and kiss her senseless. Soon.

"Meet your family?" There is a hint of nervousness present in her voice. "Hey babe, don't worry. They'll love you, I'm sure of it." She smiles at me gratefully.

"Oh I checked out your albums, they are amazing! I'm excited for you to release more music," she gushes and I laugh. She took the time to look me up online? "Thanks, but you don't have to wait for it, I'll give you a sneak peek when it's done," I wink.

"How is it like, being famous? Do you like it?" She asks, her voice soft. This is the first time we've talked about this seriously.

I run my fingers through my hair and stare at her through my Macbook screen. I wish she was here with me. "I mean..I don't know..Don't get me wrong, I love how genuine the fans are and creating music for everyone to enjoy is my dream and passion. But I don't like all the unnecessary attention and I have no privacy. I hate that the media tries to stick their nose in everything, like I can't even sleep in peace most days. But you know what? I'll think I'll be okay now that you are here."

I told her everything. I felt like someone just lifted a huge weight off my shoulders.

"Wow, it must be really hard," she says, not knowing what to say. "I've gotten used to it, mostly." We chat for hours and fall asleep while talking.

I become restless on the flight back to San Diego. I want to see her again. Its been 11 days but it feels like a year. And yes, i’ve been counting the days. We finally land and I practically jolt out of the plane and over to the entrance where I saw Serenity waiting.

“Hey,” I mentally smack myself for being lame but she smiled at me with her pearl white teeth and I just couldn’t help myself. “I missed you,” I hug her tightly and she laughs, “I missed you too.” 

“Let’s go,” I tell her and let the bodyguards grab her suitcase as I take her hand in mine and take the flight home. Together.

“Are you ready to meet my family?” I ask her, scooting next to her on the back seat of the car. “I- I think so..I just want to make a good impression, I hope they like me,” she says, her insecurities shining through. “Just be yourself,” I remind her and she nods as the car stops.

We stand at the front of the doorstep hand in hand. I love her so much. Everyday I seem to love her just a little more than before, and i’m okay with that.