Chapter Twenty-seven

Yesterday was surreal. It was like a scene out of a fairytale. I keep replaying it over and over again. The secret Shawn is keeping is eating me alive. I'm so curious but I don't want to push him, it really took a toll on him yesterday. He was so raw and vulnerable, it scared me. It seems like he has a good reason to hide it anyway.

Besides, it's not like we are together or anything.he clearly stated that we couldn't. Yesterday I felt like I was in love.

Wait. Am I in love with Shawn Mendes? I- I don't know. How can you tell if you are in love with someone? It seems like everything is happening so fast, I can't keep up with it all. I want to slow things down a little, focus on college right now. Hopefully it'll take my mind off of things for a while.

I just realized-today is my birthday, I completely forgot! July 17th. I don't know what to do, I haven't even done anything. Its fine. It's just my birthday. It's not a big deal anyway. It comes by every year. It mostly brings me bad memories.

I get up, take a shower, and head off to college. Weird.. Scarlett and Kayden aren't here yet. Oh well, maybe they are just late. It's not like them to skip a whole day. 

College was very boring today and I was given more pages to read in the photography book. How lovely. It's the end of the day, still no sign of my friends..oh well, im sure its nothing..

I walk home, feeling exhausted. I open the door to my house and all the lights are off. I turn them on, and not a second later my friends jolted out of their hiding spots, screaming surprise. Oh, I was surprised alright. I nearly tumbled backwards in shock but I recovered quickly and ran to hug Kayden and Scarlett.

They are so sweet to come here and surprise me like this! "Aww you guys thank you for this, you didn't have to!" I say, smiling even though it pains me to think about it. Kayden didn't know about this- I never told him what happened. It's not his fault, he and Scarlett were just being nice.

"Wee even got you some things," Scar says suggestively as he motions to the two wrapped gifts on the floor. "Awww you guys!!" I smile hugging them once more. I love presents! 

"Open mine first!" Scar says excitedly and I grin at her. She is so adorable. I carefully tear the gift wrap to reveal a new pair of Doc Martins in my size. "Oh my god, i've wanted these for so long!!! Thank you thank you thank you!!" I say hugging her again. Wow. She's amazing!

I carefully put the lid back onto the box and slid it beside me, ready to open Kayden's gift. Scarlett gets up and goes to the bathroom rather abruptly, making me think this was planned to get us some alone time. I squirm and he hands me the gift. I slowly remove the green wrapping paper which was the same shade as his eyes.

When I pulled away the wrapping paper there a box which was fairly small. I lifted the lid and let out a small gasp. In the box 2 items, but what immediately caught my eye was the beautiful necklace. I lifted it from its case. The silver necklace had a pendant on it in the shape of a heart with wings covering it. On the back of it was the nickname "Kay," engraven. 

I opened it and inside was a picture of Kay and I when we were little. We were both smiling at the camera, and Kayden's adorable dimples lighting up my own precious smile, showing all my white teeth. Reminiscing the memories we had together brought a smile to my face.

"Oh my god Kayden, I can't believe you got this for me, its beautiful, thank you! I'll wear it always," I smile warmly at him. 

There was also a picture frame of us as teens at the park. I remember Kayden asking a stranger to take it for us. At that time I didn't understand, but now I do. He wanted a picture with me to take when he would move away.

"Where did you get this from? I thought it was on my phone," I say and he grins sheepishly. "I sent it to myself so I would have this picture. It was on my nightstand for years. I want you to have it now." Awww. He's so sweet.

After a few minutes, Scarlett emerged from the "bathroom." "Oh yeah, we got cake for you!!!" She mentions, pulling it out of the fridge. Wow. They really are such good friends. Too bad my father has ruined everything in my life, including my birthday.