Chapter Thirty-one

I take a good look at Kayden. He still looks so good, but his face is pale, his lips chapped and slightly bloody, his hair a mess. His usually vibrant green eyes were now dull and murky. I'm scared.

He seems dazed as I grab his keys by the door and hop into his car. Thank god for my drivers license.

I notice Kayden's eyes getting a little droopy. "Kayden, stay awake please," I say, shaking him lightly with my right hand, keeping my left hand on the steering wheel. I sneak glances at him during the red light.

He seems weirdly calm about this. As if this has happened before. Its eerie and freaking me out. I'm so scared for him. I hope it's nothing serious.. And to think I was going to have a relaxing Friday night..

Finally. Sharp Rees-Stealy hospital. I hurriedly park, not caring if the car is on the line because it's in the spot. I help Kayden out guide him holding his arm as I approach the urgent care.

I tell him to sit down on the plush chairs as I talk to the receptionist. I knew Kayden had his information here as I saw his card in this wallet. I tell her and she says a doctor will be with him shortly. I am aware urgent care is hella expensive but I could care less. I'm just so worried for my Kay.

I sat down next to Kayden, tapping my foot impatiently. At least he's looking better now, his face less pale and the green in his eyes a little brighter. I run my fingers through his hair to try and fix. I won't admit that I secretly like it like this. He swats my hand away, sending me a weak smile. "No one touches my hair," he says and I pout. "Not even me?" And he bites his already bloody lip.

"Stop biting your lip Kay, you're making it worse," I scolded lightly as I grab a tissue from nearby and lean closer. I pat his lip lightly, letting the tissue soak up the blood, my eyes never breaking contact with Kayden's. He sends me another weak smile. I abruptly get up and throw the bloody tissue away, sitting back down next to him.

The door in front of us creaks open, revealing a middle aged man with a white coat and a clipboard. "Kayden Spencer?" he calls out and we both stand up. He looks up to me, "Relation?" I mentally debate this. If I say a friend they won't let me in. "Girlfriend," I say, smiling sweetly and he nods, letting me in. Kayden whispers,"But we-" but I place my finger in front of his lips, silencing him politely.

Kayden sits on the edge of the dull blue bed as the doctor asks us some questions. "So this is the first time he's coughed blood?" Dr. Mitchel asks and I nod to confirm. "Okay so would you both mind following me so we can take some scans?" He says and we both nod.

Oh god. Everyone knows that these scans are extremely expensive. Its fine. For Kay. Insurance doesn't cover so I'm guessing I'll have to pay out of my pocket. I'm not as worried about that as I am about Kayden.

Dr. Mitchel returns with the clipboard after the scans are completed. Kayden shared heavy eye contact with me when the doctor walked in. I hold my breath in, I've been praying to God as well.

"So, fortunately it's nothing serious." An immense weight was lifted off my chest. A sense of relief washed over Kay's face as well and he smiles a complete smile in my direction. "It's just a chest infection and will hopefully resolve itself in a couple of days. However, if the bleeding continues.." his voice fades away. 

At this point i'm not even listening to him so I hope Kayden it. But guessing from the silly grin he's giving me right now, he's not even listening at all.

"Thank god, my head was starting to hurt from all the stuff he was saying," Kayden joked as we got into his car. I pretended to be annoyed with him but I was really really thankful. "Shut up, you scared the living crap out of me," I say in all seriousness. He sighs, "I'm sorry Ren. Thank you for taking care of me," he admitted softly. I smile despite of what had just happened.

I look at the time; damn how is it already 10:48 pm. "Wanna go back to my place?" Kayden suggests and I shrug, "Sure, but I ain't cleaning up any of the mess," I joke and he pouts, jutting his lip forward. I take my eyes off the road to just look at him.

His green eyes sparkling in the darkness and his wide smile solely in my direction never fails to amaze me. It feels like a dream for him to be with me. I'm so grateful.