Chapter Nineteen

"I love you," he blurted out, and I froze. He cussed under his breath when he realized what he had said.

My mind went blank, I couldn't think or say anything. He loved me? Surely as friends…

"Look at me," I say softly. I wanted to see those eyes. Surely this is not what it seems. He slowly lifted his gaze onto me, and my breathing hitched slightly.

He was an open book, and I could see everything he was feeling at the moment. His eyes glistened slightly from the wetness, and he looked vulnerable, something I've never seen before. He looked worried, afraid, scared. 

I-I don't love Kay, not like that. I love him as a friend, someone who has stayed by my side through everything and gave me support when I needed it most. 

That kiss that we had 3 years ago, I liked him, I think even loved him. But he was gone for so many years, I- I don't Know if I still do.

Everything is just all messed up. Kay loves me, more than a friend, Shawn doesn't want anything to do with me at all, and on top of all of this, that monster is haunting me again. 

I feel my head spinning and Kay's voice call out to me before everything goes blank.

I squinted from the light as I opened my eyes. Where am I? I look around, gray walls. I see Kay sitting there, looking stressed with his hands in his dusty brown hair. He looks over to me and his eyes brightened slightly. He loves me…

"Oh thank God you're awake, how are you feeling?" He asked kindly. Knowing Kay, he wouldn't jump right to the point, which I was thankful for. My head still hurts a lot, I can feel a pounding every time someone speaks.

"Terrible, my head hurts," I complain. "You scared me there, did you have a panic attack?" He asked, and I blushed remembering last night.

"No I was just really overwhelmed I think. What did the doctor say?" I ask him, to which he answers, "Just to get some rest and to take some sleep medication if you want." He says.

"Oh I used your phone to call some people, I hope you don't mind," he informs me and I nod. Just when I'm about to ask who he called, the door opens. 

My throat constricted, my mouth dry as I look at him with disbelief. I quickly masked it with a strained smile on my face.

"Oh hey Shawn," I tell him as he approached me, eyeing Kay's hand over mine. I hadn't really noticed that, but when I did, I slowly slipped my hand away from his. 

"Oh um..hi." he says awkwardly as he chewed on his lip nervously. Oh. I look between the two guys. They are just stared at each other… This is so weird..

"Shawn meet Kayden, Kay meet Shawn," I quickly introduce, not knowing what to do. They nodded acknowledging each other's presence before Shawn turned back to me. 

"Um..hi, nice to meet you..Kayden, Serenity has told me a lot about you," Shawn says in a friendly manner, except there was something else behind that.. "Likewise," Kayden says as they both shook hands, speaking only with their eyes.

"Can I talk to you Serenity?" Shawn asked in a somewhat serious manner. I hoped Kay would take the sign and leave. I turned to Kay expectantly, and he sighed.

"Alright Ren, I'll be outside once you are done," Kay says smiling tightly at Shawn and leaves reluctantly. That just left me and Shawn.