Chapter Thirty-nine

The weekdays seem to dread on. I feel like I'm just itching to see Shawn again, to talk to him, to touch him. 

What's also bothering me is that one line from his list. About how I "understand him even when he lies to me sometimes". Why would he lie to me? Is it because he can't tell me if something bad will happen to him?

What's happening to him? Is he in danger? The mere thought of Shawn in a cave, tied up somewhere has me shivering. Maybe it's not that serious. Maybe his parents are strict or something? Maybe he can't date??

Ahh I don't know. Just thinking about it hurts my head. I should just leave it be. 

Kayden has been avoiding me all week, we haven't crossed paths, not even in the hallways. To add on to that, Scarlett has been pestering me about our breakup. I mostly sit alone now.

Shawn and I text frequently, more often than usual. Everything I see his name, I get all giddy inside and smile. He always makes me laugh. We even facetime occasionally. That face is all I think about when I go to bed, and it's the first thing on my mind when I wake up. I'm obsessed.

It's Thursday. I decided to take a break from studying and hang out at the park. When I get there, I'm surprised to already see Shawn. However, he's on the phone, and he looks..angry?

"I'm not coming back now! I left to get away from it all!" He spoke angrily through the phone. There was a slight pause as he listened. Whatever the other person said softened his voice slightly, "I really like it here...there's someone…. Just please give me more time, that's all I'm asking. After the time's up, I'll come back with no fuss, " he pleads. Oh gosh. He's leaving? Who is that someone? Is that me?

"A month?" He repeats, breathing heavily. After a moment of hesitation, he nods to himself. "Okay. One month." He listens to other receiver for a minute before adding softly, "I know, I miss them too. I just need some time away. I promise I'll come back. " 

He ended the call and turned around. His eyes widened as he saw me. "Uhh..How much of that did you hear?" I avoid his question completely, "You're leaving?" I know it's a month from now, but..

"I'm sorry, I was going to tell you before but I've been delaying it and now they are mad," he sighs, and I can hear the exhaustion in his voice. "Where are you going?" I ask him. "Canada. In a month."

"Who are these people Shawn, and why do they want you?" I ask cautiously. Thoughts and scenarios stirred in my head. "It's nothing you need to worry about." That statement only worries me more.

I change the topic. "You sound really tired, are you okay?" He looks to the floor a moment. "To be honest, I haven't slept much." He doesn't give an explanation and I don't force him to. "I hope you get better."

"Uh thanks," he says, scratching the back of his neck nervously, "Would you want to maybe come over to my apartment today? You don't have to if you don't want to, I just wanted-" I cut him off, "Sure." He smiles.

"Hey, are you okay? You seem off," says as I sit on the end of his bed. I dangle my legs off the edge. "Just feeling a little off, no worries," I dismiss. "Are you sure?" He asks uncertainty, sitting next to me so that our legs are touching. However, his legs touch the floor. 

I closed my eyes momentarily. "I- I wish Kayden would talk to me again." Shawn listens attentively, not showing any emotion as I go on. "I hurt him so much. But it would have hurt him more if I stayed." I place my hands in my face, completely stressed out. I almost forgot Shawn was here until he rubbed my back soothingly. 

"I miss him..I never even got to show him my tattoo…" I trail thoughtfully, removing my hands from my face and looking at the floor. "It's okay. He'll come back. He just needs some time that's all," Shawn comforts me. I relax to his touch. He really does make me feel better. I feel better just letting it all out. 

"Are you sure?" I asked hesitantly, I really hope so. He is my best friend, I feel lonely without him, even when I have Shawn. It's selfish and wrong but I can't help it. "I'm positive." He let out a breath. I hope Shawn is right.

"Enough about me. How are things going with you?" I ask him. There's a long pause before he speaks. "In honesty, not so great. It feels like I haven't really slept since last week." I could hear the tiredness in his voice once again. "What's bothering you?"

"It's nothing, don't worry about it," he sighs heavily. I don't want to push him again. "It's okay, you don't have to tell me. You should get some rest though." He nods, "I know. I'll try," he gives me half a smile.

"Sooooo.. Any new songs?" I ask him, and he visible smiles. I could see him get excited. "Actually...I'm writing one and I kind of need your help." 

Omg this sounds so excited!! How do you write a song?? I really want to learn this!!

"I would love to!" He nods and excuses himself. I'll just pretend that I didn't notice the way he skipped downstairs. It was really cute!

He came back with his guitar and grabbed the notebook off his desk. The one that I snooped in last time. "Okay, so I got this melody and some lyrics down, I just need some help with-" And que my phone ring.

"Sorry one sec," I say, standing up and taking my phone out of my back pocket. Unknown number, who could it be?

"Hello, this is Federal Correctional Institution secretary speaking. Is this the Falls residence?" A woman through the phone speaks. Why are they calling me?

"Yes, this is Serenity Falls speaking. How may I help you?" I say, biting my lip. Shawn looks towards me confused. There is a brief moment of silence.

"There has been a breach from Mr. Falls cell, I'm afraid he has escaped. Please be cautious and-" The phone slips out of my hands and the glass shatters on the hardwood floor.