(39) - astronomy tower

That night. A little before nightfall. In the room of requirement. The vanishing cabinet shook a little bit. And a little bit more. Until Bellatrix strutted out of it like it was a casual and common thing to appear in a cabinet and then just walk out of it. She was accompanied with a few other high ranked, wanted death eaters.

Bellatrix smirked evilly and let out a silent chuckle and then brisk walked out of the room of requirement. They turned left and then right, and ran down the corridor into the cool night air, and to the astronomy tower.

Harry and Dumbledore had just apparated in. And Draco was at the bottom of the stairs. But at the sound of two voices at the top, he charged up the stairs. But when Draco got up, he saw that it was just Dumbledore up there and no one else. When Dumbledore finally noticed Draco, Draco raised his wand and pointed it at Dumbledore, but he was shaking madly.

"Good evening Draco." Dumbledore whispered. "What brings you here on this fine spring evening?" He added.

"Who else is here!? I heard you talking!" Draco yelled with his wand still raised.

"I often talk aloud to myself. I find it.. Extraordinarily useful." Dumbledore stated. From what Snape and Voldemort had explained earlier that day, Draco knew that Harry was there but decided to play along. "Have you been whispering to yourself Draco?" Dumbledore asked.

Draco didn't answer. But just stared at Dumbledore. Draco was terrified. Not that he was supposed to kill one of the greatest wizards of all time, but because of what Hermione would think when she finds out that Draco had killed someone. Not just someone, but the Hogwarts headmaster. Dumbledore continued when Draco still didn't speak.

"Draco... You are no assassin!" Dumbledore said. Then Draco snapped and is shaking slowed down just a little, but not much.

"How do you know what I am!? I've done things that will shock you!!" Draco shouted.

"Like cursing Katie Bell and hoping in return she will bare a cursed necklace to me." Dumbledore whispered in his usual calm tone.

"I didn't do that alone." Draco mumbled so quietly, hoping Dumbledore wouldn't hear. And luckily, Dumbledore didn't.

"Or like replacing a bottle of mead with poison. Forgive me, I cannot help feeling that these actions are so weak that you can't bring yourself to properly do it." Dumbledore went on.

"He trusts me!! I was chosen!" Draco yelled and pulled up his sleeve to reveal his dark mark.

As if she had heard everything, Hermione ran up the stairs and what she saw in front of her was a shock.

"Draco? Draco please! Don't do this!! What are you doing!? Draco, you can't kill him! Don't listen to Voldemort, come with me! Please!! You do want to protect me, right?" Hermione asked. Draco slowly began to lower his wand at the sight of Hermione on the verge of crying. But then he snapped back.

"Hermione, you know i that I want to protect you more than anything! But... But i have to..." Draco muttered and pointed his wand at Dumbledore again.

"Draco, no you don't! You want to protect me! But without Dumbledore, everyone is at risk!" Hermione stated as a few tears slid down her rosy cheeks.

"I'm doing this to protect you! If i don't do this, you will be high up on Voldemort's hit list! As high as Harry!" Draco explained as he watched the love of his life begin to cry.

"No! I won't let you hurt him!" Hermione yelled as she ran over and stood in front of Dumbledore, but to the side of him too.

"Hermione... Please move.... Get out of the way Hermione! This has to be done!!" Draco screamed.