(41) - comforting chat with a friend

Harry and Hermione stood in the astronomy tower. Ron sat down behind them somewhere. Hermione's eyes stayed fixed on the view in front of her, because if she dared turn around, she would see the place where she told Draco goodbye. Hermione couldn't cry again. Hermione needed answers.

"Harry? You were there... You saw as much as I did. Do you think he would have it? Draco.." Hermione asked.

"No. No, he was lowering his wand... And I think it was because you were there that he didn't do it. He really has grown to care for you 'Mione." Harry stated. Hermione felt her eyes well up with tears, but none escaped her eyes. "But in the end, it was Snape." Harry changed the subject back to Hermione's question. "It was always Snape." He added. "And I did nothing.." Harry handed Hermione the locket, and a separate letter. Hermione opened the letter first.

Dear Hermione,

If you are reading this, then Dumbledore has already been killed. I just want you to know that I had nothing to do with it. Well, I did, but not because I want to keep being a death eater! It's because I want to protect you! I will always protect you 'Mione, I was doing ALL of this for you.

I don't know what will happen. But I'm just guessing that you have probably broken up with me. I asked Harry to keep hold of this letter and give it you when the time is right. I just basically wanted to tell you that... I'm sorry. For everything that I've done this year. How awful this year has been for you!

Forever and always.

Yours forever,
D.M

A single tear left down Hermione's cheek as she folded the letter back up and put it into her pocket. Then she turned her attention to the locket that was still in her hand.

"What's this?" Hermione questioned, gesturing to the locket.

"It's fake..." Harry mumbled as he glanced around at the view, when Hermione just clung onto the locket and stared at Harry, he spoke up. "Open it." So Hermione opened the locket and picked up the small note inside.

To the dark lord,
I know I will be dead long before you read this but i want you to know that it was i who discovered your secret.
I have stolen the read horcrux and intend to destroy it as soon as I can.
I face death in the hope that when you meet your match you'll be mortal once more.
R.A.B

"R.A.B? R.A.B..." Hermione repeated twice.

"I dunno..." Harry muttered, looking down at the note in Hermione's hand. "But whoever they are, they have the real horcrux." He added. "Which means it was all a waste. All of it."

Hermione took a quick glance at Ron, and then at Harry, and smiled at him. Before looking back out at the view.

"Ron's okay with it, you know? You and Ginny..." Hermione stated. "If I were you when he's around, I'd keep the snagging to a minimum." Hermione chuckled.

"I'd like to say the same to you and Draco. But now I can't. You can always apologise and get back with him 'Mione. You know that, right? He's probably waiting for you to run up to him and hug him while apologising over and over again." Harry explained. Hermione refused to look at Harry.

"Harry, please... I broke up with him with good reason! I know he didn't do it.. But if I wasn't there, he could've done it!" Hermione exclaimed. "Just please... Let's not talk about it." She added.

"Okay.. But... I'm not coming back Hermione." Harry whispered. "I've got to finish... Whatever Dumbledore started. And.. I don't know where that'll lead me but... I'll let you and Ron know where I am when I can." Harry turned to face Hermione properly. Hermione looked back out to the view of the Hogwarts gardens colliding with the forbidden forest.

"I've always admired your courage Harry. But sometimes you can be really thick! You don't really think that you're gonna be able to find all those horcruxes by yourself, do you?" Hermione asked, not really needing an answer. "You need us Harry."

And then it fell silent. For quite a while. No one speaking. Ron stayed silent the whole time, listening to Harry's and Hermione's conversation. But then it just fell into complete silence.

"I never realised how beautiful this place was." Harry sighed as he looked around at the amazing view in front of him.

"Yeah. It's gorgeous." Hermione agreed. Harry lay a hand on top of Hermione's, making her look at him. He was staring right back at her.

"You don't have to come 'Mione! Ron and I can do this, just the two of us. We can find a few horcruxes. I know where you belong, and that is here. Draco might be returning, and then you can rebuild your trust and relationship!" Harry explained. Hermione sighed.

"Harry. Draco doesn't care for me and he never will, never did! And I know that now. I was just a thing that he toyed around with until he would've just thrown me aside. Draco hasn't changed over the years Harry. It's gone back to how it was! You know.. Me yelling at him and then him calling me a Mudblood... I will help you and Ron. It'll be a good distraction. And then when i return, Draco would've forgotten all about me. He'll have a new girlfriend." Hermione explained back.

"Look... Hermione, did you read that letter!? He will do anything to protect you! He cares for you so so much. Even all the Slytherin's can see it! Nothing is changing his mind. Like he said... Forever and always. He's yours, 'Mione. Forever! You can always go back to him. Whenever you want." Harry muttered to Hermione.

"I can't just go back to him though! You don't understand! I--" Hermione was cut off by Ron walking over to them.

"No! We understand perfectly 'Mione! Harry's right. It's about time that you give up and confess to us that you care for him as much as he does for you!" Ron exclaimed. Hermione sighed in defeat.

"It's true... I do! I'll do anything for him!" Hermione finally blurted out.

"Then go tell him!" Harry yelled. Hermione nodded and sprinted down the stairs of the astronomy tower and into the castle. She ran around the whole castle. Until she reached a private corridor and saw him. But stopped in her tracks when he saw him kissing another girl.

And then he noticed her and pushed the girl off of him. And then Hermione saw that the girl was Astoria Greengrass. Just as Draco went to walk up to Hermione, she span around without another word and dashed to the room of requirement, blocking out Draco calling her name. This was it. Hermione couldn't take Draco back now.