The escape

Melanie's health is getting worse and worse and there's nothing that didn't cross my mind: rape pill, mixed drinks, cigarette ash in her drink.. The theories keep increasing and I'm extremely worried about her. She was fine when we met her in the club and the moment she left us.. And two hours later, here she is, in Richard's car, driving her home, with me supporting her and holding her hand, whispering encouraging things in her ear to calm her. She looks out of this world. Like she's drunk, but also suffering.

- "Do you know where the dorms are Richard?", I ask him impatiently, because I feel like this car drive takes ages.

- "I turned on my GPS device. I've never been there, so it will be helpful. In three minutes, we are there.", he comforts us, looking at the car mirror.

- "Mr.. Kruspa..", Melanie tries to speak. "Th-thank ya for helping me."

- "Don't worry about it, it's the least I could do for you.", he smiles.

- "D-did ya like my friend? Anna? She looked fricking hot tonight.", she smiles evil.

Richard laughs and I'm trying hard not to do the same because I'm still worried for my crazy friend. All I do is shake my hand.

- "Please, don't answer that.", I interfere.

- "I'll respect it and I won't answer anything." I snort relieved. "I will show it to you later.", he winks. I goggle my eyes.

- "Sorry, what??"

- "Aaand we're here!", he passes by my question and parks the car near the pavement.

He gets out of the driver's seat and hurries to help me hold Melanie and get her out of the car. When we finally stand still, we start walking to Melanie's dorm. We aren't talking but Richard decides to break the silence.

- "Do you know which one is her dorm?"

- "Yes, I've been there for a couple of times, or so."

- "Funny, remembering how you forgot where your own dorm was, but you know your friend's."

- "Richard!!", I get angry, giving him a deadly look.

- "Do you guys know each other?", Melanie interferes, all of a sudden. We freeze.

- "No, not at all, it's just that Anna, before, was telling me a story about how she got lost one time, right Anna?, he awkwardly smiles and keeps walking.

- "Yeah, he's right. Still, how could I possibly know Richard anyway? It's not that I began stalking him by the moment I landed in Germany.", I try to explain myself.

- "Oh, I'm pretty sure you could have done aaanything for him. You are in love with Richie here.", she laughs and looks at Richard in the eyes, dazed.

- "Oops.", Richard covers his mouth with his unoccupied hand and looks at me ostensibly innocent.

- "Weren't you ready to pass out, Mel? Why postpone it now?", I laugh awkwardly and pissed at the same time with her audacity. I need to keep in mind that she's drunk. "And you, Marlon Brando. Shut up.", I throw at Richard, who, by the way, looks like he's enjoying the whole scene to the fullest.

- "Sorry princess bitterness."

- "Mel, give me your keys. We arrived home."

Melanie hands me her keys and we route her to the small living room, placing her on the couch. I turn on the lights and I frown.

- "Okay, you are home now! Do you need me for anything else?", I ask.

- "Well.. yeah.. can you stay overnight?", she touches her forehead. "I need some company."

- Uhm.. yes, sure.. let me just say goodbye to Richard and I'm all yours."

- "Don't forget to ask him for an autograph!", she shouts as we walk to the door.

- "So.. I guess this is it!", I clap my hands once.

Richard stays still for a second outside the house and then gets out of his pocket a pen and a piece of paper. He's writing something down and I can't figure out what.

- "What are you doing?", I ask curious.

- "It wouldn't be a proper goodbye without an autograph, right?", he answers coldly.

- "I don't understand.."

- "Goodnight, Anna." He hugs me tight and puts the piece of paper into my coat's pocket. "Ich wünsche gute Besserung für deine Freundin."

He stares at me for a while, after his last words and turns his back, leaving me standing in front of the door. I watch him drive his car away and I take the piece of paper out of my pocket to read it. I freeze.

"This isn't over.
R.Z.Kruspe"