Keine Sonne die mir scheint (pre-final chapter)

I just had the weirdest dream.

I saw death itself. It's not easy to explain, but how else can I express darkness, screams and blood? These scenes were coming in my mind in pieces, like a messed up slideshow, without a beginning, or an ending. They just did. At least they were a bad dream and not reality.

Speaking of reality, I find a hard time opening my eyes. My head feels like it's being constantly hit with a hammer, my body is still, not allowing any move to my arms, or my legs. They are both tied with a heavy rope, with the feel of the ones that are used for boats, increasing the pain even more. I'm resting on my back, against the floor, which has caused me this discomfort again once. Taking a quick look around, I realize that this place is familiar; I'm in Richard's house, more specifically, at his basement. Everything's the same, exactly like months ago, the garden tools, random machines, the wooden deck and the low lighting.

I'm trapped again and I roll my eyes confused, yet terrified. It can't be the same scenario over and over again, please. Richard has to come up with better ideas if he wants to grab my attention. I mean-

Wait. I remember being with Christoph when those two darts pinched us. He passed out too. Why would Richard do that to his friend? It doesn't make any sense. Unless...

A painful moan stops my thoughts and makes me turn my head to the source of it. I see Richard sitting on the floor, with his back against the wall, tied up just like me. His look is dizzy and his face is covered in bruises, seeming like someone hit him with many, many punches. Some blood is oozing from his nose and some from his left eyebrow. Christoph lies next to him on the same position, still unconscious.

This means that somebody else trapped us and God knows what they'll do. But why us?

I panic. Richard's awake and attempts to talk to me, in a low, slow tempo.

- "Anna?... Is that you?..."

- "Reesh? What is going on?" , I whisper.

- "I'm afraid that I have an answer... that you're not going to like..." he coughs. "There is a 90 percent chance that this is the last time we see each other... alive."

- "What? Why? No!", I snap nervously. "We'll be okay! It must be a misunderstanding."

- "Please let me finish."

His eyes are tearful and some tears escape them, getting mixed with the blood on his face. He looks desperate, heartbroken, anxious, exhausted, a cocktail of emotions that threaten my tears to escape too.

- "I'm listening..."

- "I want to thank you... Thank you for being the first love of my life, the reason I wanted to keep fighting, the most beautiful way to change me for the better. I'm glad I met you and had the chance to hold you in my arms for the past couple of months, even though it's going to end soon. I'm sorry for everything, I really wish that you'll find what you deserve later in your life, but I'm happy that you're going to be the last person I'll see before I die..."

His words and his face while he says these things to me, break my heart. It's very hard to refrain myself from crying, and remain strong instead. There's no way I'll accept that he'll die, because he won't. I will not allow it, even if it means that I'll have to take his place. I bite my bottom lip, not avoiding eye contact with him.

- "Richard... You're not going to die, okay?... Please don't say this. Did you see who brought us here? And how?"

- "In your case, were used dart guns, with a strong effect on both of your systems, if we think about the animals that are caught in this way. Judging by Christoph who's still not up, it's a miracle you're the one who's came around that fast. As for me, chloroform was enough." I frown in the mention of chloroform. "I know, karma is a bitch."