The funeral (Part 2)

*Long chapter*

This is it. My mother's funeral is over. Processing the events is so painful, but as I said, there's literally nothing to do to reverse the truth and that's what hurts the most.

The cemetery got empty fast. After all the attendants expressed their condolences to me, one by one left the area leaving me here, staring at the tomb blankly. Richard informed me that he has to settle some business in the city and he would find me later at home, placing a kiss on my cheek. I stand alone, letting the breeze mess my hair to any direction, and I hug myself to be guarded against the cold. Well, not actually alone. Her boots make a squeaky sound as she approaches me and puts her arm around my waist, resting her head on my left shoulder.

- "I'm so sorry for you, sister. I wish nothing but luck and happiness for you from now on."

- "Not all wishes come true, Mel... But I appreciate to the fullest your good will and your sympathy."

- "Don't even mention it girl. You're my bestie. What kind of a friend would I be if I didn't stand by your side at your best and your worst?", she rubs my arm.

- "Just my worst.", I correct her. "I see nothing good in my life at this very moment."

- "Oh, you know this is not true!", she smirks. "What about Richard?"

- "Hm?", I pop out of my thoughts and I look at her questionly.

- "Richard.", she highlights. "What's going on with you two? Are you... together-together?"

- "Uh, yes, yes, we are together for some days now but there's lots of history behind it. I forgot to tell you with the accident and, well, the funeral, so..."

- "Don't worry about it.", she hugs me and I hug her back, trying to smile. "I suspected that something romantic was in the air since the night at the club, so..."

- "So, uh... change of subject." I fix some strands of hair that block my eyesight and I look around. "Richard's staying at my place for the night and tomorrow we are flying back to Berlin... I'd love it if we'd make an excpetion tonight and you would sleep with me. Like... a sleepover, but less fancy. You never fail to cheer me up, so..."

Melanie's face brightens up, hearing my unexpected suggestion and a huge smile appears.

- "I'm in! Oh, this is going to be fun!", she claps her hands cheerfully and I smile.

- "I really hope so. The quicker I get over this, the better for all of us." I take a last look at the muddy land and we leave the cemetery behind us. After the first shock passed, hunger found its way back to the surface.

Richard's POV

The ATM machine luckily had no queue so I finished my business quickly. I took some money and I head to the cafeteria right across the bank to meet Andy.

Andy, who's not just Anna's family member, but also, one of the people I wish I'd never met. If I could skip the moment when we introduced ourselves because of Frank, that would be perfect. But no, life had different plans. Life wanted to fuck my karma up. Damn my photographer and damn Andy.

I enter the cafeteria and it's surprisingly crowded, as it is not one of the most central ones. I scan the venue and I spot Andy smoking one of his cigars and he casually winks at me, nodding to come over. I curse silently and I walk past some people, eventually sitting on the chair across him. He laughs huskily and manages to get on my nerves, but I find the strength to control myself.