Take me away

She goggles her eyes surprised and seconds later, she bursts into crazy laughter.

- "Hahaha, Till, please, there's no time for jokes now! Your black humor is at its finest, but we need to get serious!!"

I feel uncomfortable. How else am I supposed to state the facts?

- "Anna... I wish I was joking. But I am not. It's true. Alex's life is in danger after that accident on the road. And... and you crashed against Richard's car.", I say firmly. "I know it's hard to process, but..."

- "I want to see him."

We exchange looks with Melanie and then we turn them to Anna. Seems like she starts getting nervous and angry. Her smile has disappeared.

- "We are not allowed to see him yet, he's under surveillance.", Melanie explains. Maybe later we can."

- "Oh, no no no, you don't understand.", she stutters fretfully. "I don't believe anything, if I don't see him with my own eyes. Unless you want to be called liars, take me to him. Now."

I gulp.

- "How? You arm and leg are broken. You need to stay in bed, it's too soon to be wandering around the hallway."

- "BRING ME A WHEELCHAIR DUMBASSES!", she screams and we both jump up. "NOW!"

- "Melanie, stay with her. I'll call the nurse.", I ask her and I leave the room.

Right after I close the door, I look at the left and I see Richard being supported by Paul, probably heading to Anna's room. Oliver, Christoph and Flake are following them and they have a worried look.

- "What's going on here? Why is he up?", I ask Christoph.

- "He wants to see Anna, that's all I know."

- "He's been crying for half an hour when you left us. He wants to apologize.", Paul adds awkwardly. His eyes have the shade of light red, supposing that he cried along with Richard for a little while.

- "Maybe we need to do him the favour, Till.", Oliver interferes.

- Okay, stop.", I wave at them negatively. "In that specific room behind me, there's a wild-eyed Anna, who is willing to kill that idiot in love, without even blinking. She just asked me to bring her a wheelchair and take her to Alex. She's in denial. These two are forbidden to meet each other.", I point at Richard.

- "Who the hell forbids it?", Richard bursts.

- "I do!", I shout in my whisper. "Her psychosynthesis is obviously unstable. Do you want to lose her for good?"

- "No, but-"

- "Then stay away from her and give her time. All she wants is to be by her friend's side. No more drama."

I approach Richard and the rest of the guys slightly distance themselves. We look at eachother in the eyes and I hug him tightly. He hugs me back and rests his head on my shoulder.

- "I need her, Till.", he whispers. "She makes me want to be a better person. I can't just lose her."

- "And you won't lose her man. You just have to listen to me for once. And to all of us. If you love her, give her space. Time, to process the reality. Trust me, it's for her and your good."

We break the hug and he nods. I look at Flake.

- "Take him back to his room. You, Oliver, come with me."

- "Sure, but why me in particular?"

- "Anna is pissed at Paul for collaborating with Richard to 'fish' her feelings. Honestly, you're the only one who she's at good terms with."

- "I haven't seen her for a very long time. Are you sure this will work?"

- "It has to. Now let's go find a wheelchair."

I wave "later" to Christoph, Flake and Paul and me and Oliver are in search of a nurse. Oh, there she is.

- "Excuse me, nurse. Is there any possibility you can provide us a wheelchair? For the room 305? The girl feels the need to get off bed for a little while.", I try to persuade her.

- "Anna? It's a little bit risky, sir."

- "Please, nurse.", Oliver presses her. "She wants to check on her friend. Every moment counts, depending on his condition. Can we make an exception?"

The nurse sighs defeated.

"Okay. Follow me. There's a free wheelchair in that closet. I'll carry her."

Holding the wheelchair, the three of us enter Anna's room and she tends her arm in the air, cutting a conversation she must have had with Melanie.

- "Finally! What took you so long?" She pauses, then she holds her stare on Oliver, who tries to look at anywhere, but her. "I see... you brought backup. Long time no see, Oli.", she greets him while the nurse transfers her carefuly to the wheelchair.

- "Nice to see you too Anna.", he tries to smile but all he achieves is a smirk.

Outside of Alex's room, the nurse passes me the wheelchair.

- "You can take her anywhere, but for 30 minutes max. She needs to rest. And a good rest, automatically means a speed recovery."

- "Okay nurse, thank you, I'll do my best.", Anna answers in a surprisingly ironic tone. Proof that her nerves are tensed.

- "Bye Anna." The nurse smiles at her and leaves the four of us alone. Melanie decides to ask the obvious.

- "Now what?"

- "Now, Melanie, one of these two sweet gentlemen hopefully will open the door and let us see our bestie. I need to finally cure my curiosity."

- "Are you sure?, I hesitate.

- "Open the damn door."

I slide the wheelchair through Alex's room and Melanie instantly starts whimpering. The sight of Alex being technically supported with bruises, cuts and deep wounds all over his body, isn't something I can handle easily. Oliver stays quiet. Anna places her hand on her mouth and tears are streaming down her cheeks. She can't touch him, due to the plaster casts and stays quiet as well. We all keep our mouths shut for a minute or two, until she breaks the silence.

- "Take me away from him."

I freeze when I notice her death stare. 

- "From Alex?"

- "From Richard. When the doctors discharge me from the hospital, take me as far as possible. I don't care where. I never want to see him again."