Exposed

The stranger girl keeps giving both me and Oliver intense stares and I start feeling a little bit uncomfortable. Does she know me from somewhere? Do we have common friends? Many thoughts are swirling around my mind but one thing is for sure. It might be just my idea and nothing more. I fix my hoodie, finding the strength to avoid her look and I grab my pool cue to have another try, when a hand brushes my arm gently.

- "Take a break, grab another beer. Let someone else play for Dresden's sake."

- "Paul? What are you doing here?", I smile, giving him a quick hug.

- "O-oh, looks like someone admires Oliver's company more than mine. I'm hurt.", he fakes a sad gesture and I roll my eyes.

- "Just grab a cue. I was certain that you would have joined us sooner or later. You love the pool."

- "I gotta agree with that." He winks at Oliver who's chilling at the opposite side of the pool table and attempts a shot. I sit on a counter near the table and observe Paul's moves. "Where's our diva?"

- "Diva?... Uh..."

- "Annaa...", he raises his eyebrows knowingly and I take the hint.

- "Oohh, you mean Richard!!", I laugh, facepalming myself.

- "And for one second I thought that you forgot our inside joke."

- "Come on, he's not a diva, that's kinda mean.", I smirk.

- "Why didn't he join us then?", he asks, attempting another shot.

- "He stayed at the hotel. He wanted to sleep because he got tired and-"

- "See? Diva."

- "Eh, whatever." I look for a split second behind me and I spot the girl and Oliver exchanging very weird looks. It's like they're communicating with their eyes. I can't not ask, I'll explode from the curiosity. "Paul?", I poke his shoulder.

- "Yes ma'am."

- "Look discreetly at the girl with the fishnet stockings at the opposite side of the bar. Emphasis on 'discreetly'."

He leaves the cue on the table and slowly turns his head to the direction I showed him. I note that his cheerful smile changes to a worried one so fast, that makes me suspicious and nervous at the same time. My heart beats threateningly with a quicker pace. After a serious amount of seconds, he speaks, trying to maintain his voice at a steady level.

- "Yes, what about her."

- "I have a feeling that she's been watching us for an hour, or so. It looks like she's focused on Oliver now. Do you know her?"

- "I-I've never seen her before in my life.", he clears his throat awkwardly. "They gotta be flirting or something."

- "But Oli has a girlfriend. As far as I know, he's not a dick."

- "Uh, yeah, you're right. I don't know what's going on, but I guess it's just coincidencial. Nothing to worry about.", he comforts me with a smile.

I'm friends with Paul for half a year, to know that his smile is not genuine, but fake. He's nervous and certainly a bad, bad liar. Nevertheless, I'll forget about it. If him or Oliver were related to that girl somehow in the past, it is not my business. I stand up and head to the bathroom, when he gets in my way.

- "What?"

- "Where are you going?"

- "To the bathroom. Is that so bad?", I frown questionly.

- "Let me accompany you then."

- "Unless you are suffering from period cramps, you aren't allowed to join me in there. I can go on my own. Thanks.", I try to make a joke, but he doesn't look like he's in a mood for that. What the fuck?