The mansion

Paul unlocks the door and the sight of this place is beyond any expectation. In front of us there's a huge fireplace and a big square couch that surrounds the living room. A wide yet short wooden table is positioned in front of the fireplace. At both sides of the living room there are swirling stairs that lead to the upper floor and to the bedrooms, I suppose. The kitchen is held behind the stairs and a large black piano is placed on an elevated spot next to the window. All the windows are made of grey wood, the walls are stony and the floor is all covered with very expensive, shiny wood, if I value it right. My mouth is half open and Paul notices it.

- "Look who's all excited!"

- "Why wouldn't I? This place looks like a chalet! Do you actually live here?", I ask amazed.

- "Well, not all the time; I mostly stay in an apartment at the centre of Berlin. Living in a mansion was always a guilty pleasure of mine, so I thought why not? I usually come here during the holidays or when I need to get away from reality's cruelness."

- "Man, if I was you, I'd never leave this place. I'd just hire someome to buy me food and the essentials and I'd be goood."

- "But without the band, this mansion would be a place to live only in my dreams, so..."

- "You have a strong point.", I agree, fixing my crutches.

- So, lady, your room is upstairs. You can take the elevator for easiness. It's the first on your right."

- "YOU HAVE AN ELEVATOR? OH, COME ON!!", I shout excited, a wide smile appearing on my face and Paul takes a step behind, allegedly scared .

- "Girl, chill. You haven't seen anything yet.", he winks. "Now hurry! Christoph has already carried your bags upstairs! Make yourself at home and come down." We've got lots to do."

- "Got it.", I wink back and I slowly walk with my crutches to the elevator. I press the button and I quickly get transfered to the upper floor.

I open my room's door and I couldn't be more excited. A king sized bed on my right and a large TV at the wall ensure me that my staying here is going to be super comfy. I even have my own bathroom. The room is painted in light purple colours and the sheets, the floor and the furniture in general, are in the shade of purple, grey and white. A small vase on the nightstand is full of lavender and lilies. I have no idea where did Paul find these flowers in such cold weather, but what the hell. He's rich. I'm not even sure if I'm in a house or a hotel anymore.

I slowly change into my red sweater and some comfy black leggings. My broken arm doesn't help making this task any easier, but it doesn't hurt as much as my leg. When I finally manage to change my clothes successfully, I unstrap my braids and I let my hair free, wavy, spreading slightly under my shoulders. I wear one of my furry slippers, as long as my other foot is wrapped in plaster cast, and I take the elevator down to the guys.

The fireplace is on and I can finally feel the warmth igniting my skin. Paul and Christoph placed a large Christmas tree near the piano and have started decorating it with colourful lights. I leave my crutches to the side and I sit on a low stool.

- "Hello little one!", Christoph greets me cheerfully.

- "Hello to you too! Where's Oliver?", I wonder.

- "Did someone say my name?", Oliver appears from behind and lightly wraps a silver-grey ribbon around my neck. I giggle from the sudden move and he puts a white headband on my head, with two tiny furry "Mickey mouse" ears and we all laugh. I face my reflection on the window and I smile.

- "What is that for?"

- "To get you into the Christmas spirit. You seem a lot more Christmasy when you look like a fairy.", he comments mockingly and I give him a soft punch at his leg.

- "At least you didn't give me reindeer horns like Paul previously. That was Christmasy as fuck."

- "Oh, you didn't!", Oliver turns at Paul laughing. "You're such a troll!"

- "As long as she liked it, blaming me is off the table.", Paul comments as he carries a large box full of Christmas balls.

- "Can't argue with that, ladies and gentlemen.", I point at Paul. "So", "I pat my thigh, "how can I help?"

- "Decorate the lower levels of the tree, so as to not strain your leg by going up and down, you know."

I bend down and I grab a red ball with snowflakes painted on its sides and a gold, similar one.

- "Easy peasy.", I hang the balls on the tree.

Christoph comes away from the tree and heads to the stereo. We all look at him suspiciously.

- "What now?", Paul asks curious.

- "You're all aware that there can't be Christmas without some appropriate festive songs, right?", he stares at us and pushes some buttons.

- "Please tell me you won't.", Oliver puts in.

- "Oh yes I'm gonna.", Christoph announces foxily and turns on the stereo. Wham starts playing and we all shout "ooohh" laughing and singing along.

The karaoke version of 'Last Christmas' is harder but much more fun than just listening to the original song. Paul dances to the rhythm and sings the backing vocals with Oliver, while me and Christoph decorate the rest of the tree and sing the main parts, using random objects as microphones. This is by far the best Christmas ever and it's only just the beginning.

Till's POV

- "Give me that!", Richard shouts demandingly and hits the kitchen table with his fist. He got drunk again and he looks like he's about to snap.

- "Give you what? Your poison? I left you alone for like, 15 minutes and I came back to this?", I shout back, holding a half empty bottle of whiskey. "If you don't want to be dead by the age of 40, you gotta stop drinking the damn thing!"

- "That's the problem, all mighty Till.", he says drunkenly, pointing at me. "I'm already dead. And not by alcohol. By her."

- "Are you serious? You refuse life because of one rejection? And alcohol is the way to get over this?"

- "See, this is the millionth rejection in my 37 years of living and yet, no human has come into my life to change my mind. Alcohol has always been there for me. But people? Not even once." He looks down at his feet, pouting. I sigh desperately.

- "You have us, Richard. Even when the world falls apart, you'll still have us. And your music. The band.", I touch his shoulder sympathetically and squeeze it lightly.

- "That's a different kind of love, Till. A kind of love that cannot be replaced by any band, friend, instrument. It's companionship. A love that I'm not willing to give up on, any time soon."