All good things come to an end

"Okay guys, it's time to pay Alex a visit. I wonder if there's any good news."

I leave the chair and head to my bedroom to get dressed. Today's morning was just perfect. I had breakfast with the guys, I confessed that I'm in a relationship with Reesh (finally) and everything looks like it's getting back to normal. After the recent tragic event with mine and Alex's hospitalisation, I've started to overcome my sadness and fear for cars and I'm trying to think positively from now on. Richard's playing a huge role in this; he's giving me courage and the love I need to move on.

I choose my casual pair of blue jeans and a beige high-necked sweater, pulling my hair into a ponytail. I put on my black rubber boots and when I close my room's door, ready to go, I bump into Paul.

- "Oh, uh, sorry Paul, I was in a hurry."

- "No problem, I was coming to you anyway. I wanted to tell you that I'll be the one to drive you to the hospital. Richard has some financial business to take care of."

- "Ah, yes, sure.", I nod. "Let's go."

Right after I take a step, Richard joins us. He's dressed in total black, typing something on his phone. I'm not complaining, he looks so handsome in black. But this colour makes him seem sad, in a weird, melancholic way. I don't know how handsomeness and melancholy can be related though. Maybe it's my idea. He kisses my cheek quickly and caresses my back.

- "Baby, I have some business to take care of so Paul will take you to the hospital, okay?"

- "Yes, he just told me. We'll meet later.", I smile. "Bye.", I hug him.

- "Later, munchkin.", he winks at me and rushes to his car, almost running down the stairs.

Minutes later, me and Paul get into his silver BMW. What a beautiful car, really. He helps me get comfy in the co-driver's seat and he starts driving. He turns on the radio, putting it into a low volume. An awkward silence remains in the atmosphere for a while, until he decides to break it. Damnit. And I wanted to avoid a conversation.

- "Anna?", he begins hesitantly.

- "Hm."

- "Is everything alright?"

- "I'm nervous about my friend but in general, I'm fine." I stare at the snowflakes filling every empty space of grass on the fields in front of us, almost answering mechanically, but Paul continues, not taking his eyes off the road.

- "I mean between us."

- "What about us?"

- "After last night, you seem a little distant against me. And I hope that it is just my idea."

I sigh.

- "I'm not distant from you Paul, nor mad. It's the fact that you took it a little too far with the game. Christoph challenged us, but you should have stopped him. Reesh is your closest friend. I shouldn't be pissed, because it was all fake, but it somehow bugged me."

Paul raises his eyebrows surprised and stops at the traffic lights.

- "Wow. My instinct wasn't completely illogical. To be honest, I wanted to find the right moment to apologize. It was stupid indeed to agree with this."

- "Whatever, what's done is done. I forgive you. I'm too happy now to stay mad at small, pointless things like this." I put my hand on his and push my index finger on it. "I like you. I can't stay mad at you even if I press myself."

- "That's why you're the best for Richard. You are a rare kind of girl.", he gives me a side smile and we continue driving to the hospital for the next 20 minutes.

**********

The corridor at the intensive care unit is crowded. Nurses and doctors rushing to the surgery, wounded people, blood... I ask a nurse what happened and she informed me that a huge fire nearly burned an entire bank in a neighborhood close to the university campus. I chose a bad day for a visit. Poor people. My heart sinks hearing the news. I ask Paul to stay outside for some minutes and he informs me that he will be chilling at the canteen.

Entering Alex's hospital room, I face Melanie and Kate chatting in a low voice, next to Alex. Kate is Alex's girlfriend and it's been half a year since the last time we two met. I greet them smiling, but they don't look as chipper to see me as I do.

- "Hey girls! How are you?"

- "Anna! So nice to see you again!", Kate rushes to hug me. "It's good to know that your recovery is on the way."

- "You tell me.", I sit on a chair between them. "I have the lucky charm I guess. Any news about Alex? I still can't get over his situation."

- "Nothing at all.", Kate says sadly. She's blonde, with big hazel eyes and a really charming smile, but she has black circles around her eyes. It's obvious that she's sleepless for more than a day and exhausted. Poor girl. "The doctors are optimistic, but he still hasn't showed us any signs. I'm devastated."

- "You're not alone, Kate. "He's my best friend. It really sucks how anything can change in a split second.", I exhale desperately. "Let's hope and pray for the best. Situations like this, require lots of faith for a miracle."

- "About that...", Melanie pops in. "There's something you should know."

I turn to her and she hides her face with her hands. She sighs nervously and avoids any eye contact. I grab her arm and force her to look at me.

- "What is it. Come on, you can tell me whatever you want, Mel.", I press her and I take a look at Kate, who's also in a very strange mood. Now they got me all anxious.

- "Please remember that we're here for you, no matter what. We'll stand by your side like family."

- "I appreciate it girls, but at this right moment, you are freaking me out. Nothing can be worse than this.", I point at Alex.

- "Except for..." Melanie stops and bursts into tears. She raises her eyes at the ceiling and is unable to say a single word.

- "Kate... you are killing me... What happened?"

She holds my hand in hers and my whole body is shaking. I feel like I wanna throw up from the angst. I have a bad feeling. A bad, very bad one.

- "This morning, your mother passed away."