Sleepover

Anna's POV

°°°°°°°°°°
- "I appreciate it, Paul. Thank you so much!"

- "No need to thank me sweetie. Keep strong and better days will come. Don't ever doubt it."

- "I'll give it a try..."

- "How's my man? Is he with you now?"

- "No, he's out for some business and he'll join us later. I'm with Melanie at my house."

- "Girls night? Ooh should I be concerned?", he mocks me foxily.

- "Ahh stop it, you! We're just going to spend some quality time together, nothing wild is gonna happen.", I explain giggling and he interrupts me pretending to be serious.

- "My bad then, the bad interactions are to blame."

- "I love you all, in case you need to hear it again.", I smile. "You are like, one of the very few people who put me in a good mood when I almost reach bottom."

- "I love you too Annie. We all do. But I gotta hang up. Oliver makes angels in the snow. I shouldn't miss it.", he laughs like a little boy and I can't help but laugh too.

- "Oh my God, what a dork!", I comment. "Bye Paul, see you tomorrow again!"

- "Bye Anna, can't wait!"
°°°°°°°°°°

I hang up and I put some spaghetti with tomato sauce in Melanie's plate, placing it on the table. I spot a chipper smirk on her face and I frown mimicking her, turning to the kettle to put some serving to me as well.

- "So... are you really best friends with Paul Landers?", she asks me with her mouth half full.

- "We are on that way, yes. But it's too soon to refer at Paul as my 'best friend'. I really love him though." I shake my head and sit on the chair at the opposite side of the table. "Whenever I'm around him, I always feel that kind of pure comfort, that I can't explain. He's loveable. Not that the rest of the guys aren't."

- "Watch out sis, Richard would be jealous if he heard you.", she drinks some water and winks at me.

- "That's never gonna happen. And you know why? Because I have no intentions putting him in my bed as I do with Richard." She raises her eyebrows and I grimace, taking a bite. I shouldn't have said that. "Okay, okay, it's definitely not an appropriate topic to discuss in this day, but I just wanted to clear things out."

- "Relax, I got it. I'm just messing with you. Speaking of Richard..."

- "Hm?", I grunt.

- "Have you... uh... you know... yet?"

My cheeks get red in a second and I hold back a smile. Melanie notices my happy discomfort and judging by her look, she's enjoying it to the fullest.

- "Not yet."

- "Not yet?", she goggles her eyes in surprise. "Wow. Thinking of your passion about him, I was sure that you would have already broken some beds, or maybe a couch."

- "Melanie!", I blister her but I can't hide my smile.

- "Sorry, too far."

- "Okay, that would be the expected thing to happen, but we got together after the accident so no one was in a mood for sex... Plus, I'm going to be shy and nervous as fuck when that moment comes."

- "Fair enough. But why nervous? Normally, a person should feel comfortable with their other half."

- "I know, I know... But it's Richard." I lean on my back in defeat.

- "Woah, brand new information. And I thought he was Bill Gates.", she teases me and I throw a plastic apple from the fruit bowl at her.

- "Stop it silly! I mean that him being him actually fascinates me more than before we decide to get into a relationship, so this provokes extra anxiety to get in bed with him... and maybe a little sweat. And nausea."

I roll my eyes playfully, making hypothetical scenes in my mind and Melanie chews her last bite, chuckling softly at my shyness.

- "Girl, these are fever symptoms, not amorous. Better visit a doctor." She puts her plate into the sink and sits back on her chair. "If you want my serious advice though, you shouldn't be nervous about anything. Richard looks deeply in love with you and he'll do his best to make you feel comfortable. At least that's how I see it. Chill."

- "I suppose you're right. I love him and he loves me too. Whatever happens, it'll happen naturally."

I put my empty plate in the sink too and Mel offers to help me wash the dishes together, as my arm is still aching, but a lot less than the previous days. My recovery is on its way and I'll be happy to burn this plaster cast asap.

As soon as we finish the kitchen work and tidy the whole area, Mel hops on the couch in the living room and gestures me to join her. I approach her slowly and I rest my still aching leg on a large pillow. We look at each other awkwardly but mostly with a cheerful attitude. I decide to speak first as she giggles for no reason. We haven't ever enjoyed some alone time together, since we know each other for only three months, but she looks so excited to be here with me, even under these circumstances. One more person that I'm happy to call my best friend, after Paul. Because deep inside, we both know that he's a strong candidate for this accolade.

- "Progress report so far... We've listened to music, we've looked into my photo albums, we chatted even about the US president... It's 7 pm. Any ideas for our next activity?"

- "I have something very good in my mind." She stands up and heads to the DVD player. "Pull the blankets up and brace yourself with extra stamina. "We're about to have a horror movie marathon."

**********

- "Why? Why on earth did you trick me to watch this?!!", I shout terrified. "What have I possibly done to you?"

- "Come on, it's fun!! Look at their faces!", she tries pushing my hand off my eyes but I resist her touch.

- "I'd rather not, thanks.", I hide into the blanket, trembling. "Why didn't you tell me that the Grudge had to do with haunted and cursed stuff?", I laugh feeling the sweat ready to drip on the back of my neck. "I can't handle these!"

- "Concentrate, chicken. We've already watched Chucky, The Card Player, Saw and this scares you? You're weird."

- "Weird, but sober enough to know that I'm done with horror movies.", I comment and suddenly I hear a noise outside the main door.

We both gasp jumping slighlty out of our seats and our hearts are beating like crazy.

- "Anna.", Mel whispers frightened. "Someone's out there."

- "I know.", I whisper back. "Luckily you are used to horror and you can open the door."

- "Forget what I said.", she waves negatively. "Your house, your rules. Open it."

- "Ha! I knew you would back off in a moment like this! Besides, it might be Richard. He's been missing all day, I almost forgot.", I throw the blankets off of me and walk to the door.

My hunch was right. I open the door and I face a super drunk Richard, trying dizzily to unlock the door lock with the spare key aunt Jenna gave him. His facial futures are dark, his eyes seem red. I gently raise his chin to observe him better. He cried earlier.