Chapter 42- extra, Aurora

Aurora's POV— flashback

On the first day of sixth grade, I met a guy named Mikey. He had silky hair and blue eyes, when judging his manly features, some would say he was the perfect 12 year old.

A while went by with me staring at the gorgeous young boy from afar, until one day, in 8th grade, I was paired with him to work on a science project.

Since then, we started talking more as it was required to complete the project, and my little infatuation developed into a crush.

After a few months, the project got more serious and the deadline got closer, meaning he had to come over to our house a few times.

The whole grade went by perfectly. We worked on our project, got closer, and my crush grew day by day.

The day before the deadline, we were working over time. He had to stay over until 1am, and we were studying when Aurelia, my little sister stormed in the room.

"Aurora! Stop stealing my stuff" she huffed.

My little sister was adorable. She was going to seventh grade next year, she was gonna be all grown up and it pained me to know she's growing up so fast, because I loved her too much to lose her.

"Okay sheesh! I have guests dummy leave!" I joked.

Mikey turned around to look at her and I swear I saw his eyes sparkle, causing me to frown.

"Hey uh I'm Mikey!" My frown only grew as he blushed. She's like 5 for god sakes.

"I'm Aurelia! Hey." She smiled, oblivious to the whole exchange. "What brings you to hang out with my shitty sister"

"Kinda forced into it for a science project, but I guess there's at least some good to all this" he smiled sweetly.

Excuse me?
so now I was just a burden?
And she was suddenly the best thing that's ever happened to him?

I need air.

"Cool! See you around Mikey!" She finally said before leaving.

I could literally feel my heart shatter into a million pieces. How could they.

After Mikey left that day, I could no longer look at my sister the same. Every time I saw her she was just a thief and nothing more.

Overtime, I stopped talking to her because I couldn't stand to see her perfect face, and I needed others to not leave me for her like Mikey did, so I took every chance I had in outlining all her insecurities and imperfections.

Over time, dad had heard so much crap about her come out of my mouth that he started to believe me, and by 9th grade, she was no longer family, but a distant stranger living under the same roof.

She started middle school alone, and ended high school with many friends but no family.

I'm not quite sure if I regret letting my own insecurities get between the best friendship I've ever had, or if a boy was worth breaking our sisterly bond,

But everything she did after, like putting hair remover in my shampoo, making me even more insecure, just made me hate her more.

After dad hit her, there was no going back.

And I just can't help but regret it all time to time.