MIDGARD: MAXIMILIAN

MIDGARD: MAXIMILIAN

As Gullveig kicked him off the bridge he screamed and time slowed. Is this really how he'd die? Bound to a chair, splattered across the face of a river? His friend taken? He could come to terms with death, but not like this. Victor needed him, and he knew his time was not yet run.

But if this was the end...

Suddenly he felt the chair break as he landed on a soft pillow like substance, followed by a pained grunt and an equine whinny. Maximilian had the air knocked out of him as he was caught by Sleipnir. With Maximilian draped on his back he soared up, immediately Maximilian seized the leather straps around Sleipnir's neck. Maximilian yelled out: "Where are we going?"

Sleipnir flew even steeper into the clouds and Maximilian was too pumped on adrenaline (the normal sort, not the magical Uruz sort) to let go. As Sleipnir dashed higher still, the air got warmer and warmer as they broke through the snow clouds. Sleipnir and Maximilian went to the highest reaches as Sleipnir finally settled on a large sheet of pure white clouds surrounded by a brilliant blue sky. On it rested broken chariot, the chariot was made of luminescent gold. Maximilian saw an elfish like young lady that looked about 16 sitting on the edge of the chariot, her tan skinned face and elfish ears was enhanced by wavy brown hair, she wore a casual white crop top that didn't show any torso, a brown leather belt and jeans. Her eyes sparkled gold as they scanned over him. She looked up and said: "Beautiful morning isn't it prince of Asgard?"

Maximilian looked at her and raised an eyebrow: "I'm sorry I don't think we've met."

The girl smiled: "I get that a lot, no one stops to notice that I'm ever there. I'm Sol, goddess of the Sun. Everyone notices the sun but not the girl in charge. Also it's not like there's a use for the sun anymore with Fi'mbulvintr and all."

Maximilian smiled indulgently: "Well, hello to you Sol."

Sol smiled back: "So Sleipnir brought you to me for a reason. What is it?"

Maximilian sighed: "My... boyfriend, has been taken by Loki."

Sol stood up: "Describe him for me?"

Maximilian rubbed his neck as his cheeks went red: "Well he's slightly shorter than me, grey eyes like stone, tousled hair blacker than night, also he's a son, one time daughter of Loki. Does that help?"

Sol nodded quickly: "Oh yeah. I'll try to find him."

Sol closed her eyes and she opened them as they glowed a ferocious gold. She strained hard as she struggled: "I see him... he... is not bad looking, you chose well... and he's in Jotunheim, Sleipnir can get us there..." and with that, she closed her eyes and sat back down on the edge of her defunct chariot.

Maximilian sat down next to her and asked: "What... how can you do that?"

Sol explained calmly: "Maximilian Odinson, I'm the sun goddess. I might look young, but I've been around the block. I was granted omniscience when I was first made in the creation of the Nine Realms. It's rather handy for someone that's had to navigate the skies of the realms to distribute the light of the sun."

Maximilian nodded impatiently and asked Sol: "Can you take us there?

Sol thought about it for a while: "Well since this girl isn't taking the sun's light anywhere any time soon, and probably not for a very long time, I'm bored of it, Ragnarok is coming, and if helping the intrepid heroes that'll postpone it is something I can do, I will. And I do need to keep moving, my mortal prophcied nemeses, Skoll and Hati, Mockery and Hate will be coming any time soon anyways. But with my chariot defunct, I'll need Sleipnir to drive it so that whatever sunlight can get to the other realms."

Maximilian spoke: "Without Sleipnir, how are we going to get there?"

Sol chuckled: "I'm a primordial goddess, relax Maximilian. I know what I'm doing."

Two feather-like, elegant, white wings of light appeared on her back. Sol extended her hand: "Maximilian, take my hand."

Maximilian stumbled back: "You have wings...?"

Sol sighed: "Yeah, in the old days, before the Aesir, I had to carry sunlight across the realms by myself. When Odin took power, he gave me this chariot, making it easier for me to spread sunlight. Now let's get your boyfriend back."

Maximilian nodded blankly and echoed: "Let's go get him back."

Maximilian took Sol's hand and Sol's wings expanded like a sail and they vanished into the branches of Yggdrasil.