JOTUNHEIM: SOL

JOTUNHEIM: SOL

The lightning wreathed sword arced towards Utgard-Loki as Maximilian howled in rage. Sol ducked for cover as the swordcollided with an invisible force field of now-glowing runes. The moment Gram hit the wall of runic magic, the sword's crackling energy disappeared and it clattered to the floor, lifeless of energy. Sol peeked out in confusion, Utagrd Loki has vanished. From behind Maximilian, there came a slow, resonant clapping that echoed as the stands and the rest of the castle disintegrated, an illusion. The seats that Sol was sitting on shimmered to reveal a large granite rock.

Maximilian turned to see Utgard Loki now wearing a speckled gray suit and now closely cropped white hair: "Very impressive."

Maximilian's eyes sparked with energy: "What do you mean impressive?"

Utgard Loki snapped his fingers: "Watch." one object, one hare, and the wizened giant appeared before them. The giant ham, the hare, and the giant shimmered as the illusions vanished. The ham turned into a solid silvery block of uru metal with a sizeable dent in it, the giant turned into a white masked figure with a hooded cloak: norn, and the hare transformed into a brunette goddess. Utagrd-Loki began to explain: "The ham you see was a block of uru on loan from Svartalfheim enchanted to resist even Thor. The hare was Gersemi, deification of love. Not even Heimdall could perceive her. The giant you failed to make cry, not for lack of trying, was my esteemed guest Skuld, norn of fate. I am most impressed you even managed to make fate smile upon your plight. I hazard a guess not even Balder could manage such a feat."

Dumbfoundedly, Maximilian stammered: "I did... all of that...?"

"That would be correct, yes." Nodded Utgard-Loki

Utgard Loki continued: "I have no wish to see Loki see whatever misappropriate machinations through. I have heard tale of the new Odinson, a hero that would eventually bring peace to all. But I needed to test your mettle."

Maximilian listened to Utgard-Loki's tone and line of reasoning, and judged that he was probably telling the truth. So he summoned his sword back into his hand: "So what must I do?"

Utgard-Loki waved his hands absentmindedly: "I will grant you safe passage into the den of Loki. I bid you safety and fortune in your endeavour."

Sol slowly lowered herself back into the dusty pit where Maximilian and Utgard-Loki stood, speaking softly: "Thank you Utgard."

Utgard-Loki bowed graciously: "We act towards the same goal."

Utgard-Loki waved one last time as the world began to spin and dissolve around them.