Chapter 61: Thorns

Byakuya stared in the area between Crona and Stein, staying entirely focused on the matter at hand. I wonder if the bald one is okay, I'd hope so.

"Um, Mr.Stein? We've never battled with each and other, what's the plan?" muttered Crona.

"We'll be fine. Just follow after my lead." remarked Stein as he twirled his scythe around his arm. I can sense, he's terribly strong. Stronger than the both of us combined. Although. . .

Byakuya slowly unsheathed his Zanpakuto before quickly slashing the air twice before warning, "This will be over quicker than you'll expect."

Stein smiled as he crouched down with his scythe positioned behind him while laughing, "Oh spare me the luxury!"

Stein dashed forward with enough speed to blow smoke from behind him, startling Crona. Byakuya closed his eyes as he took a step forward, appearing to somehow walk through Stein's moving body. I-impossible!

Stein stumbled forward a few steps before spinning around to see an afterimage of Byakuya, slowly fading away.

"I told you this would be over quicker than you'd expect."

"Stein! Above you!" shouted Spirit from the reflection of the scythe blade.

Stein looked up to see Byakuya falling down with his sword close to his side. Tsk! With swift movement Stein repositioned his scythe so that he was swinging upwards. If I slash the tip of his blade, then that should throw off the trajectory of  his momentum!

"Mister Stein! No, that's not right! He's to your right!" gasped Crona who looked scared. Absolutely terrified.

Stein's eyes widened out of pure shock as he focused of Byakuya coming at him in slow motion. With every second that went by Byakuya's movements nearly became frozen. No, this is him. I can feel his intensity. It's calm yet so murderous at the same time.

The grip on Spirit loosened while Stein began hesitating on his current attack. But. . . something feels off.

Stein's heart thumped loudly, anticipating everything around him. He slightly squinted his eyes, staring at Byakuya's hand. And after a few seconds passed he noticed the transparency of his hand dying down. CRONA WAS RIGHT!

Like as flash of lightning, Stein stomped his foot on the ground, attempting to pivot his body fast enough. Ungh! With a great amount of force, Stein chucked his scythe forward in a spiraled motion. The spinning scythe was heading straight for Crona, who had tears in his eyes. Byakuya appeared behind Crona in a crouching position, sheathing his Zanpakuto very slowly.

Crona was shivering as he turned around but before he could lay eyes on Byakuya, a horizontal slash appeared on his back. Blood sprayed out of Crona's wound, black blood.

"You're too late, what happens next was due to you being too slow." lectured Byakuya, who's eyes were closed as black blood fell on the stage.

With the screen portrayed in black and white, having Stein and Crona's silhouettes in view. The scythe flew past Crona, then more black blood sprayed but this time the wound was located near Crona's neck.

Stein looked devastated, shadows consuming his facial expression while he groaned, "W-what have, I've d-done?!"

Crona collapsed face first on the ground, still holding Ragnorak in his hand. Byakuya asked before standing on his feet, "You're surprised?"

Stein fell on his knees, shaking the ground momentarily then he slammed his head down. His body was shivering and the sounds of sniffing could be heard constantly.