Sixteen

Kayleigh POV

Asher told me to go to Tavia, he would take care of Obsidian for me. I didn't argue, there was no point. His spirit was running free, only his shell remained here on the ground. There was now one that lingered in the in between, her life hanging in the balance. I had to let Obsidian go, I had no choice with Lexa, and Lincoln took my choice from me. There wouldn't be a choice for Tavia. She had to live.

"Hey, how is she?" I hear Harper question as I silently enter med bay, seeing needles and tubes attached to Tavia.

"She's strong." Clarke states.

"That's not an answer Clarke." Her eyes widen when she sees me, palming a blade at my side, my thumb running over the sharp edge.

"Kayleigh," she says apprehensively, "She's going to make it. I swear."

"She better, because if not I promise you now, if she dies, so do you." I say moving to stand in front of her, uncaring of the others in the room. I maybe out numbered but I wasn't out matched. I could take them down before they made a move against me and I would. "I won't make the same mistake Titus did in letting you live after Lexa died."

There was a flash of hurt in her eyes when I mentioned her name, along with fear, but it was quickly gone as she left the room taking the others with her.
I knew I had a part to play in her death. I should've gone to her when she commanded. But it didn't excuse Clarkes role in all of it. She tried to change her, change our ways, if only to benefit herself and her people. It was because of that she was dead.

I track their movements as they walk out the door, leaving me and my sister alone. I had no idea where the boy was, nor did I care. All that mattered was that the girl on the bed lived.

Limping closer I grab hold of a chair, dragging it along to the side of the bed.
Sitting next to her, my hands automatically begin twirling the dagger round and round.

Tavia was strong, yes. But so was Lexa and Lincoln. Asher was stronger than all of them, and twice now he almost fell. I wouldn't loose her, not like this. Her body was mostly clean of blood, a thin sheet draped across her lower waist as bandages wrapped around her stomach. She fought to stay long enough to get here, Clarke needed to make sure she stayed that way.

And what will you do?

I tilt my head to the side even as the hair on the back of my neck stands on end. I knew who was there with me, but I looked anyways.

"Her blood stains your hands like so many others." My mother says, as she silently stalks towards the bed. She looks away from me, eyeing Tavia critically.

The dagger stops moving in my hands, as she stands still opposite from me across the bed. I watch her, staring blankly at Tavia, even as my thumb runs down the blade again.

"You first came to me the night I killed Finn.." starting to realize I only really saw her, when those I cared for were going to die. "You can't have her."

"I wasn't there for them, and I'm not here for her. I've only ever come for you." She says turning her black eyes on me.

"What do you want."

"For you to do what needs to be done." She hisses leaning over Tavias limp body closer to my face.

What needs to be done...

"Kayleigh.."

I blink, and my mother is gone. I vaguely feel the blood dripping from my thumb as I pressed it harder to the blade .