Fourty-eight

Kayleigh POV

As fate would have it, turns out Apollo and I weren't the last natblitas, for there was one more left in the word.

Madi. The twelve year old, dark haired girl, who anxiously wanted us to go and save Clarke.

The lost one.

Her clan hid her from the flamekeepers, keeping her existence a secret, and when Praimfeya came, and passed, the radiation killed her clan and what was left of her family, leaving her alone with the dead.

Until Clarke.

Two last people to walk the ground, until now.

"They'll be safe where they are." She says filling in the silence.

My hand stopped twirling the blade around, my gaze flickering over to her.

"She never gave up hope that you would come back." Madi says as she continues driving the rover through the terrain. "Clarke told me stories about all of you." Her eyes catch mine in the mirror when she glances up. "My favorites were of you, Kayleigh, you and Octavia."

"She spoke about me?" I ask curiously. There was no love loss between Clarke and I."

"Of course I'd heard about you, long before her. Stories from the elders, about the nightblood from the sky." She says focusing ahead again. "We're almost there."

"Remember the plan." Bellamy says. "As soon as we step out you leave, head straight back to the others. Kayleigh-

"I know, don't start killing." I tell him, sliding the blade back home.

The look he gives me is one of anger and annoyance. He didn't want me to go with him. Just like he didn't agree with me being armed. He wanted me to stay behind while he went in alone. Asher of course agreed. In the end there was no stopping me. We were in this together.

"We're here." The anxiety I'm her voice pulled my attention from Bellamy back to the window.

Men gather round, as Madi pulls the rover to a stop at a safe distance. All of them armed.

"Take the Rover back." Bellamy commands, when he sees her hesitating. "That's the plan. I won't let anything happen to Clarke. I promise."

"Come out with your hands high." A voice orders out

"What about you?" She asks looking at me, it was the look in her eyes, one I was so familiar with that had me nodding firmly back to her.

"Unarmed." Bellamy calls out, as we both exit the rover. As soon as the door closes, Madi is already backing up and getting the hell out of here. "Just want to talk."

"She looks armed to me." The woman who appeared to be their leader called back.

I say nothing as my eyes moved from the woman to the blonde on her knees.
Her hair was shorter, with streaks of red. Blue eyes wide, filled with pain, fear, and perhaps a hint of hope. My eyes moved further down looking at the collar around her neck.

"Makes no difference." The brunette says, and I glance bac her way once more. "Talk. Give me one good reason not to kill you both where you stand."

"How about I give you 283?" Bellamy calls out, holding the mug he took from the ship out fo the others to see, taking measured steps forward . "That's how many of your people are gonna die if you and I can't make a deal."

"That's far enough." There leader says, my hands now touching the blades.

"283 lives for one."