Seventy-two

Kayleigh POV

Skin tore apart under my nails, specks of blood decorating my finger tips. I wanted to tear her heart out, wanted the blood to be hers. But it wasn't Clarke's skin I was vainly tearing at, it wasn't her heart I was trying to make stop beating.

It was my own.

One moment I was in a trance like state, the moment when I would first strike rapidly approaching.

The next I was somewhere else-someone else.

Her..

The hatred that was seconds ago boiling under my skin, was banished  under a tidal wave of other potent emotions.

I was anxious, unsure of how she would respond, but knew I had to try. There was something about her, something I tried denying to myself, something I no longer wanted to deny.

She stared at me while I stared right back at her. I knew what I had to do- to make her see I was willing to try, that I cared for her. So I did what I asked her to do of me.

Hesitantly, I sank down to my knees in front of her, keeping her clear blue eyes locked on mine.

"Stop it." I grit out, my nails digging in harder.

I didn't want to see Clarke through her eyes, I didn't want to feel her heart skip a beat, when her hand reached out to mine. Didn't want to feel the way my skin burned against the contact.

"I swear a faulty to you, Clarke Kom Skaikru."

I wanted Lexa but not like this.
She was trying to manipulate me, forcing me to see what she saw- feel what she felt.

"Lexa, stop it, now!" I snarl, my nails tearing in deeper.

Once again she was stopping me from harming her- from killing her- but if Lexa didn't stop now, I would tear my own beating heart from my chest. And if I couldn't do it with my hands, I would damn sure do it with the gun.

Lexa changed.. and Clarke was the reason behind it.

Honeysuckle invaded my senses, the hairs on the back of my neck rising at the sound of her voice. Adrenaline flooding my veins, as the useless thing in my chest beats frantically.

"I love her, just as much as you love him."

Love.
Not loved.
I wanted to scream.

She was using the bond between us, against me, using the flame to strengthen it. But as much as I hated her in that moment, something inside was elated. I was feeling the heart she tried to bury a long time ago.

"I... hate.. you.." I slowly gritted out.

And I'm that moment I honestly did.
Using what strength I had, I push off of the tree, doing something I never imagined myself doing since coming to the ground.

I ran away.

As fast and as hard as I could. I ignored the stings front the cuts on my chest. It wasn't Clarke I was running away from, but Lexa. I wanted the bond gone, I didn't want to smell her scent or feel the love in her heart. I wanted none of it.

               Third Person POV

"I know why didn't you want me to have the flame." Madi calls out breaking the silence between the two.

Clarke pauses her steps and turned to look at the dark haired child.

"Commanders die, Madi. All of them, badly." She says steadily. "You heard what Kayleigh said-she didn't just see it, she felt it. Becca was burned alive, and Lexa-