Fourty-four

Kayleigh POV

On the ground, I painted the forest red. Feeding the monster inside, silencing the voices for a time. When the whispers raged at their loudest, and a battled brewed within.

It was days like today that I relied more on Echo than I did Raven, when talking was no longer an option.

It took months to get to this point. To where I was able to start blocking out all of the noise. In the beginning sparring with Echo helped, but the larger my stomach became, it too became no longer an option.

That left me here.
My body feeling like it was floating in water, even though I was sitting still. With each slow breath I took, I could feel my racing heart begin to slow to a more steady rhythm.

I couldn't explain what it was that I was doing. I was there but I wasn't. I knew I was in space, knew I was sitting in the floor. My body was there but my mind, my mind was somewhere else, deep inside. Slowly locking the voices away in metal cages. I started to feel lighter, and almost at peace with the silence.

It was the sharp movement, that had me blinking open my eyes and looking down. The faded gray shirt stretched over the huge swell that was now my stomach. A tiny footprint could be seen through the fabric as the baby pressed up harder against my skin. My hands moved from my thighs going to either side of the bulge.

"Two more months." I huff out with a sigh, gently rubbing my stomach.

For how huge my stomach had gotten, I would've sworn I was further along than what I was. I felt double in size compared to what I did with Apollo.
When I mentioned it to Harper, she gently reminded me that every pregnancy was different; and that the situation was vastly different than what it had been when I was pregnant with him.

There was no wars to be fought here, death wasn't lurking behind every shadow. She was right, everything was different now. We were trapped in space, with no way of returning to the ground.

I guess it didn't matter, because even if we did, the ground wouldn't be survivable for another few years.
Well not survivable for them. With our blood, Apollo and I would survive, being that we were both nightbloods. We weren't sure if Clarke ever did survive. There was a chance she didn't survive. Clarkes blood was a forced change, while mine happened on its own, and Apollo inherited it from me.

I couldn't say if I cared one way or another if Clarke survived or not. I knew Bell felt guilt for leaving her behind in the end, I would find him looking down to at the Earth we circled. Together they led the 100, she was his partner in that.
But mostly he would stare down at the last piece of green the world had left.

He was worried about Tavia too. Raven tired her hardest but was never able to make radio contact with her or anyone from the bunker. Not seeing her, being with her had been the most difficult. I knew she survived, could feel it with every fiber of my being. But it didn't stop me from worrying. We were changing.. All of us, shedding who we once were, becoming who we are now. I worried I wouldn't have a sister to get back home too.

The sound of the door opening pulled me away from all thoughts of Tavia. My hands stilled instantly, my head tilted to the side. Taking in one breath, than another, I had to tell myself, we were safe. There was no one else here but the 10 of us.

The barest sound of footsteps, and couldn't stop the small smile.

"Step with the back of your heel first," I call out to him, not turning to look his way, "then with the rest of your foot. It will quiet your steps more."