Twenty-one

Kayleigh POV

She left me....

"Together."

The one person who never left me, the one who stayed no matter how hard I pushed her away.

"Always, you fall, I'll fall with you."

"Don't leave me in the dark.."

"You promised to keep Lincoln safe.. I guess we're both liars."

"I won't let anything happen to him."

Lies

I killed my brother.. I killed Finn.. I killed Lincoln.. I broke my sister

"Tavia!" I screamed out her name as she runs further away.. further away from me.

I tried to catch up with her, but my leg.. my useless fucking leg wouldn't allow me. I lost my balance, and fell to my knees.

"Tavia!" I scream again, my throat burning with the action.

I needed her, came back for her, and she was leaving me. I watched through blurred vision as she mounted Helios and took off without looking back.

She doesn't need you
Doesn't want you.
Don't you see?
They all leave in the end.

Yes... That would always be the end result. No matter what I did, it would be the same.

"To be commander, is to be alone."

I wasn't commander, had no desire to become one, but I'd be alone just the same. Tavia was gone, Bellamy was gone. Soon everyone else would be too.

"You want a drink, pretty girl?"

Looking away from the scratches on the bar, my eyes drift up to see Jasper with a sad smile on his face, bottle of moonshine in hand.

"Not this, but I can get you a water or something."

Don't ask me how I got here, sitting at the bar. I didn't know. All I knew was Tavia was gone, and the voices were all that remained. Kane tried speaking to me, but I didn't want his words. Didn't want anything from them.

"She'll be okay pretty girl, Octavia will come back."

"No, she wouldn't." I think to myself, the words never making it out of my mouth. "She wouldn't be coming back for me.. not again."

And no one would go looking for her either. I wanted to, but I couldn't. There wasn't a rover, not that I knew how to drive one, and the horses were long gone. I couldn't even make it out of camp. Even though their life raft was gone, Kane still had guards watching over the perimeter, waiting for what I didn't know and didn't care.

Sensing I wasn't going to speak any time soon, Jas leaves me to focus on the others. I didn't understand these people. Only hours ago they were screaming for vengeance, ready to spill blood that I had claimed and now, now look at them. Some where drinking and laughing, others playing card games.

Looking back down at the table, I spy a  cup in front of me. Was the cup half empty or half full? Reaching out, I wrap a hand around the cool glass, feeling the smoothness of it. Not a dent, or scratch on it.

Undamaged.

I could vaguely see my own reflection
Brown eyes, not black, surrounded by dark shadows. Shadows that would never leave. My gaze travels away to my hand, followed by the scars on my wrists. Scars caused by them, scars that would never leave. My chains.