Twenty-three

Bellamy POV

"Mark. Come in. Coming up on Factory Station. Almost to you. Over." I continue on but after a few minutes of nothing I try again. "Guys, you read me? Don't go quiet on me now. Gonna need a little help navigating once I'm past the wreckage. Come on, come on, come on."

"Yeah, I'm here. We're northwest of the salvage area at about 15 degrees. Just follow the—Peter!"

"What's happening? Are you ok?"

"Peter, get below me. Bellamy!"

"Mark, what's going on?"

"The wind shifted. The rain is blowing in."

Shit, I think to myself as I press the gas harder. "Ok, you need to find something to use for cover."

"There's nothing here." Mark yells. "Look, I'm blocking it from Peter as best as I can. Just hurry. Please!"

"Look south. You'll see my headlights in two minutes. I'm—Come on. Damn it. No! No!"

I can feel the back tire spinning as I sink further into the ground.

"Bellamy, I don't see the lights. Where are you?" He says frantically

"Just—just a minor delay." I tell him trying to back out then pull forward. "Just hang on."

"No! No! No, we can't! We can't! How long?"

"Bellamy, what's happening?" Kanes voice pulls through next, as I begin digging through the back. "Answer. What minor delay?"

"Stuck in the mud." I tell him quickly. "Gonna use the winch to get me out."

"Negative. Bellamy, you have no suit and I can hear the rain over the radio. Please, just just wait for the storm to pass. Is that clear?"

"Bellamy!" Mark screams through. "Peter needs help now, right now! He can't breathe!"

"If you go into that storm, 3 people die instead of two. Asher's right and you know it. You're out of options. It's time to let go."

"You said you'd be here." Mark yells "Where the hell are you?"

"What am I supposed to tell them?"

"The truth."

Taking a gulping breath, my hands shake as I pull the radio close. "Mark. Peter. I can't get to you."

"What? No. We'll come to you. Please, I can carry him."

God damnit..

"It's too far, Mark. You won't make it."

"Listen, we won't make it here!"

"Look. I am sorry. You just—your only chance is just to wait a little longer, and when the rain stops, I can dig out."

"My son is dying! He's dying right now. You said that you would help us. Please!"

"No! No! Fuck!" I yell slamming my hands against the steering wheel.

"Bellamy..." Kayleighs soft voice drifts through the radio as Mark curses and yells from the other end. "Bellamy, listen to me, please."

"Kayleigh, I can't-

"Shh.. Close your eyes, and listen only to me.."

Leaning my head back against the seat, I furiously scrub my hands over my face before doing as she said.