Fifty-five

Octavia POV

I was expecting Cooper to walk through the door, telling me it was done. Couldn't help keep the surprise off my face when it was Madi instead. I didn't have much interactions with the girl, but from what I heard and saw she was a promising warrior.

If only that was the only surprise..

I knew she was nightblood, it's how she survived Praimfaya, but as she told me the tale of how Clarke really came to find her, I had more trouble keeping my face blank as my mind raced.

Gaia had the flame.

This was something she had wanted from the very beginning, a commander with the blood. She hadn't been actively pursuing Kayleigh, the last known nightblood.

But given the choice of another?

"Who else?"

"Bellamy, Asher, and Kayleigh are the only ones who know."

My brow arches. I wasn't expecting to hear that they knew as well, would've thought Clarke would've kept it a much guarded secret.

Two nightbloods.
Two whom could ascend.
Two more claims for power-for the throne.
My throne.

"I don't want to be commander."

I blink, looking down at the earnest look in Madi's eyes.

Did I believe her?
Yes, I did.
But did it change anything?

I had done a lot of things to keep my people going-to ensure our survival. I wasn't stupid-I knew many hated and feared me. Because of what I did, what I make them do. But I never had to cross that line where a child was concerned. A child that reminded me so much of me-what I once was.

The girl under the floor.

That left one option.

"Wonkru."

    Kayleigh POV

On the Ark this was the moment when my lessons began. The moment I opened my eyes and saw the monsters for who they were, when I learned my mother was one of them.

I was at a catalyst.

A choice had to be made.

Do I show them who the monsters are?

How far I'm willing to go to save them?

"Momma, please don't.."

My hand tightened around her throat, I could feel her try to gasp, could feel her vocal cords. With a cry of frustration, I let her go, backing away.

"You're making a mistake..."

Probably.

But I couldn't do this, not in front of them. I wouldn't let them see the darkest side of me.

Not yet at least.

"Stay away from my family Gaia." I rasp out, as she sputters and coughs, "I won't give you another warning."

"What will you do when Blodreina learns of this?" Gaia asks, rubbing her throat, causing me to still once again. "Already she sees you as enemy, it won't be long before she learns of the young ones. What do you think she'll do then?"

"Clarke will never let Madi ascend-

"The choice isn't one for her to make."

"She'll tell Tavia she turned Madi into nightblood with bone marrow, same as she did to herself." I reply without hesitation.