Twenty-five

Jasper POV

"But I'm gonna say it, I don't miss mosquitos." I tell Bellamy as we walk through the quiet woods. "Don't miss them." I really didn't miss those pesky things, glad they were at least already gone.

"This is all a big joke to you, isn't it?" Bellamy growls

"Now you're getting it, that's exactly what it is. One big cosmic joke, you'd realize that too if you pulled the stick out of your ass."

"That's enough, that is enough!"

"I'm just trying to help you."

"Oh, you're trying to help me, that's funny. It's late, we're leaving now."

"Damn it, open your eyes!" I yell at his throwing my arms out. "The clock is ticking, and it has been since we landed on this terrible.. beautiful planet."

"What the hell does that mean?"

"It means we are living on borrowed time, all of us."

"So if you know that, why are you throwing it away."

"I'm not, you are. What is the point in beating yourself up over all of the, the crappy things you've done? You did them! And don't say you had reasons, because at the end of the day, at the end of the world, nobody gives a damn about your reasons, because they are your reasons. No matter how much you punish yourself, it's not gonna change anything. It's not gonna bring anyone back.." I pause taking a breath letting my words sink in, as his face falls further. "The way I see it is, we can spend our last days wallowing in our reasons or we can do, we can do whatever the hell we want! Really mean it this time." I tell him walking over finding the jobi nuts, picking up a handful to show him. "Magic beans, remember those?"

"Hallucinegetic nuts, that's why you dragged me out here?" He questions angrily. "If you think I'm taking those again, you really are crazy."

With a shrug I pop a few in my mouth before shoving as many as I can in my bag. "Whatever the hell you want."

                   Kayleigh POV

I wake up coughing again, feeling worse than I did before. My skin burned, but everything on the inside was cold, felt worse than it did when I was sick on the Ark or when Trikru sent John back to us with the killing virus.

Warms hands lift me up and cool water slides down my throat once more. I dont want it, but have no choice but to swallow it down. Opening my gritty eyes I'm met with blue/green ones.

"Asher.."

This hardened warrior before me. My shadow, my anchor, my friend. I accused him of betraying me, he did, but I knew he was also charged with keeping me safe. As safe as I would allow him to. He had done more for me than I had ever done for him. His life dedicated to the chance I was the one they were waiting for. He had no choices, had no freedoms, no life outside of this. All this time he was serving the wrong person. I couldn't be the one he searched for.

"I'm not worthy to have one such as you on my side."

It was the simple truth, I wasn't. Had I been a better person, I would've left with him when we had the chance. Long before we learned of Praimfaya, before I fell deeper into the descent into hell. He hated it here, if not more than me, but stayed because I did.
The end was here for all of us, and I'd the rain stopped, I could do one thing for him, even though like Bellamy he deserved so much more.

"You are Trikova no more..."

He stares at me blankly, not a hint of emotion in his eyes, his stance relaxed as if he didn't hear a word I said.