Fifty-six

Third Person POV

"Abby?" Marcus calls out, walking further into the room. "Abby?"

At the sound of a sharp inhale he turns to look to see Abby sitting on the floor, hands coated in blood. His eyes trailed over to the operating table, he couldn't help but blanch at the sight.

"What the hell happened?"

"I got the bullet out, but there was too much internal damage."Abby says sadly, rubbing her hands harder together. "I did everything I could." She says starring pitifully back at him.

Kneeling down, Marcus swipes up the bottle of pills sitting next to her.
He shakes the bottle, causing the contents inside to rattle.

"Was that before or after you took these?" He questions in disgust.

"She was shot, Marcus." Abby says jerking up, her face wet with tears. "Octavia Blake killed her, not me." She says vehemently

"Karina came here for a second chance."

"I did everything I could."

"Hey!" He barks when she turns away from him. Grabbing onto her arms he turns her back. "Hey, I put my life on the line for you, and you promised me that you would quit.

"And I will."

"Stop lying." Marcus yells, jerking away from her as if he's been burned. "It's getting worse. You take one pill to work and then another to sleep."

"Give me the bottle." Abby demands

"This was supposed to be our second chance." He argues. "That's why we're here."

"Wrong." Abby dead pans. "We're here because of me, because I serve a purpose, and I can only serve that purpose if I'm functioning." She says trying to make him see. "If I don't find a cure soon, people are gonna start dying."

"People are already dying, and you call this functioning?" He asks incredulously. "You didn't even close her up."

"I did everything I could!" She shouts.

"It wasn't enough." Marcus says with a deep sigh, closing the door behind him.

                       *** Polis***

"Bellamy, you've been staring at that all night. Go." Harper gently orders. "Get some sleep, OK? I got this."

Even after he managed to get Kayleigh to calm down, he still didn't know what had happened or what they were doing down there in the first place. She was more distraught, more on edge with Echo gone, and Octavia forbidding anyone to have access to Asher. All he had to go on was what he had gathered from the children, bits and pieces of Gaia and the flame, of Kayleigh's reaction.

"The kids-

"Kayleigh's awake and the kids are sleeping. Even if she falls asleep, we've got this covered."

"It's been 8 hours." Bellamy says with a sigh, feeling more useless as each hour passes. "Raven could have built a cathedral by now."

"They'll get it done."

"I know.." he says running a hand through his tousled hair. "I just wish it was me over there."

"Still wanting to be the hero." Kayleigh mumbles bitterly making her presence known, just as the door opened and a stone face Octavia appeared.

"Well?" She questions ignoring Kayleigh's presence all together.
"Any word?"

"Look, we knew it would take some time. We can count on Echo-