Twenty-six

Kayleigh POV

I was still alive.
It still hurt to breath.
A broken piece of me was missing.
Tavia hadn't come back.
Asher stayed, and so did Bell. Both attempting to keep their promise of not leaving me.

In a matter of days, they wouldn't have a choice.

Jas had come in to see me earlier, both Bellamy and Asher forbidding me to get up just yet, even though the fever was long gone, and I could feel my strength coming back. Niylah had told him the best way to use the jobi nuts was to brew them into a tea, offered me a cup. I remembered what happened the last time he ate the nuts. I was still seeing things that weren't there, not to others, didn't need anything else to help amplify it.

The baby moved, pressing painfully against my rib, I rub the spot in vain hoping he would move to another spot, but he just pressed harder.

"The hell with this." I whisper to myself as I push myself from the bed, standing shakey to my feet.

"What are you doing, Natbilda?"

"What does it look like?" I scoff, keeping on hand on the bed while the other goes to remove the bands around my stomach.

"You're still to weak-

"And staring at the same walls, watching the numbers on the screen that haven't changed, isn't doing anything other than making me feel even more crazier than I already am."

That and maybe if I got up and moved around, the baby would too.

"I'm getting out of this room, and going outside, if only for a few minutes." I tell him pulling the shirt back down.

I stare down at the bulging weight. It looked as if I had swallowed one of the animal skinned balls the children in the villages would kick around. Dispite everything going on, everything I did, he seemed to be growing, thriving.

"I'll help you." Asher grunts, increasing his arms and stalking over towards me.

He could've forced me back into the bed, but he didn't, instead wrapping an arm around my waist, taking on most of my weight, as I limped to the door. Maybe he was getting just as tired of staring at the same walls I was.

It wasn't only the baby and the walls that were pulling my mind in multiple directions, I still worried about Luna.
Asher had done what I asked, but she refused to leave. Said she wasn't a prisoner and was choosing to stay. I could help but shake my head at the thought. She may have thought she wasnt a prisoner, their prisoner, but she was. Luna would know it not before long too, with Clarke as her prison guard.

It's the flurry of activity from outside the breaks me away from my thoughts, as Asher and I both watch everyone moving around quickly. I glance to the sky, it's dark and grey, much like my mood, but there's no rain falling. Turning away from the sky, I look around me once more, this time my eyes landing on the dark figure still mounted ontop of the horse. My breath catches and I forget how to breathe.

"Asher," I hear Bellamy call out, but I can't take my eyes off the scene in front of me, can barely hear the words hes saying."

"The time is nigh
It's almost here.
Those who stay
Those who go
Life is the beautiful lie
I am the awful truth
Soon they will see
Soon they will know."

"Kayleigh."

I blink, and take a breath, Bellamy now in front if me, hands once again cradling my face.

"Sweetheart, what happened? What is it?"

Lie or tell the truth? What did it matter now?

"It matters Natbilda." Asher grunts, and I hadn't realized I spoken the words outloud. "What do you see?"