Thirty-one

Kayleigh POV

The rain poured on.

I could leave, walk out and no one would be able to stop me.

I couldn't move, my feet stayed rooted in the same spot. Stuck watching it pour, watching the rider as he watched me, listening to the awful symphony inside my head.

"Trust me.."

"Why should you."

They wouldn't stop.

"I'll be back, I promise."

The faceless rider was back, watching, waiting.

"You knew they would do this."

Bellamy was safe, deep under the ground. But Tavia was here, with me.

"She's dead inside already, why should it matter now?"

I didn't want to see her destrustion, didn't want to see her fall. But I wouldn't have that choice.

Skairku never gave me a choice.
Clarke never gave me a choice.

I knew she was behind this, just as she was everything else. Gaia had told me of Clarke treachery, of how she herself tried to ascend, because she now bled black instead of red. All because she forced Luna onto a table and took what didn't belong to her.

"Anything to save herself and her people."

"You should've ended her a long time ago."

I should've.. I could've. There was so many chances, chances I let slip through my fingers. The months she spent in hiding, the months I spent protecting her, and for what?

"Natbilda."

I could feel his presence behind me, hot breath on the back of my neck, but I didn't move, didn't reply. There was nothing more to say, nothing more to do.

"The time is nigh
It's almost here.
Those who stay
Those who go
Life is the beautiful lie
I am the awful truth
Soon they will see
Soon they will know."

It was already here. Could feel it against my skin, the way the air tasted. Heard it in the way the others were breathing, like they couldn't breathe in enough air, the color of their skin.

"Kayleigh." He growls moving around to face me, blocking my view of the rider. But it didn't matter, he was still there.

Maybe I should end it for them, here and now. Death wasn't going anywhere, not when there were so many lives that had been marked. Death didn't care if their lives were claimed by Praimfaya or by me. At least I could make it quick, and nearly painless, I wouldn't have to watch those here I cared about struggling to breathe, while their skin blistered and bled.

"Kayleigh!" He snaps again, and I can feel the faintest pressure on my arms where he grabbed me.

I look up to him then, into his light blue/green eyes. I say nothing still as I try to commit to my memory everything about this warrior who stood before me. His braided hair, different shades of blonde and brown. The faint scars decorating his face, his huge muscular form.

Trikova.
My shadow.
My warrior.
My anchor.

"You didn't deserve an end like this." I rasp out, hand cupping the side of his jaw, the whiskers of his beard lightly scratching my palm. "I wasn't worthy to have you stand by my side." Something flashes in his eyes but before I could decipher what it was, it was gone just as quickly. "Let me end your fight, Asher kom Trikru. Allow me to give you a swift death, let me give you this.. Please." I beg when he says nothing at all.