¦Chapter 1¦

~ Laila ~

I put on my black stockings and then my shoes. I stood to look at myself in the small mirror beside my bed. I loved the way I looked. The uniform looked so perfect on me. I had a navy blue skirt, a cream long-sleeve shirt, a navy blue tie, and a wine blazer with my black socks and shoes. And then topped it with a wine hat. It was one of the four uniforms I was given excluding sportswear and a swimsuit. I was shocked when I was given three of each of the five uniforms. I promised to keep them well.

I had pressed each of them and hung them on my wall robe since three days ago when I was given the uniforms.

A year ago, I would have never thought that I would be wearing Luminary High School uniform.

Luminary International High School was one of the most expensive and biggest private secondary schools in the country. They made use of the British curriculum together with the Nigerian curriculum and partook in international competitions, exams, awards, and events. They have extracurricular activities and they teach foreign languages. Mr Anthony had paid for the French class which I am glad to take. Students that graduated from the school also had easy access to study in Europe or Britain.

Attending the school was a dream come true for me.

I heard footsteps approaching my door. I quickly picked up my school bag - a new one actually which I had begged my aunty to get for me.

Just so you all know, I am an orphan - that's because I have never seen my biological parents and I have never heard anything about them. My aunt Judith who I grew up knowing is my only family and she never told me about them.

She is a complete introvert and takes no nonsense.

The door to my room clicked open and my aunt walked in.

"You have a call from Mr Anthony, " she told me giving me her phone.

"Good morning, sir, " I greeted happily.

"I'll wait for you in the living room." I heard my Aunt say and she left my small room.

"I'm fine. I'm so happy. It's all thanks to you," I said. "... Nervous." I chuckled. "A bit." The caller said something and she replied. "Thank you... Alright. I promise to call when I get back... You too." And I ended the call.

My lips curved up to a smile. Mr Anthony and his wife had been like my parents for a long time now. I met them some years ago and they loved me like I was their own. They did not have any children for twelve years. But God finally blessed them with a baby boy six months ago. They believed I brought them good luck, so they decided to send me to Luminary High School as one way of appreciation. I didn't actually consider it necessary but it doesn't mean I don't like it.

In fact, I loved it.

They were life changers.

When I was sure that I hadn't forgotten anything, I left the room and walked to the living room. My aunt was sitting on the couch tapping on her phone.

"Mr. Anthony's driver is here," she said to me as I entered the living room.

I nodded and gave her back her phone. I don't have one and my aunt refused to let me have anyone for a reason unknown to me.

"Your lunch is on the kitchen cabinet." She told me.

After muttering an appreciation to her, I went to the kitchen and took my food. It was still surprising because I don't usually take lunch to school. My aunt used to give me money to buy lunch.

"I'm leaving. Bye, aunt," I said, waiting for her response. She simply gave me a nod as a response then I walked out of the house.

Don't be surprised. My aunt wasn't the emotional type. She never cuddled or did the kissing and hugging stuff. I grew up that way and I am used to it. She raised me to be independent, strong, and able to fight for myself.