¦Chapter 8¦

~ Laila ~

It had been five days since I confronted Jason and his friends in their base. And surprisingly, he didn't do anything. Or hasn't done anything yet.

His friends did nothing too. They just glared at me anytime I walked past them. I knew they wanted to get back at me so much. But they didn't. It's like something was holding them back. Or someone.

Jason also didn't act like I did anything or I existed. He just acted the way he normally does - ignoring everyone, listening to his music or god-knows-what from his headphones, and acting mute.

I was beginning to get scared of the silence. The silence was killing me. An enemy you know is better than an angel you don't know. It was hard to fight what you can't see. And that was the situation I was in. I had no idea what he was thinking or what he was planning. But I was sure that he wouldn't sit and do nothing.

He was planning something. I was sure about that. He always has a comeback. Coupled with his friends' hatred toward me at the moment, it was inevitable.

Although, deep down I was having this feeling, this second thought that maybe he was just being nice to me or afraid to do anything. At least, he once saved me from his friends. And maybe the reason his friends have not gotten back at me was that he asked them not to. He might be scared or concerned.

Yeah, it's funny, right?

Jason is scared of a girl! That must sound absurd. No one has ever challenged the guy and his friends but I do and he is scared.

Even I did not really believe that. The Jason I know is never afraid of anybody. He was not the type that got scared or cared about anyone. So why would he be scared of me?

No reason at all.

So, that is bullshit.

*****

It was Monday morning and I woke up early to do my house chores before leaving for school. My aunt spent the night at her work, so she didn't come home. And I was used to staying alone in the house. It's not the first time that it has happening neither would it be the last... I guess. So, I wasn't scared of being alone.

The school wouldn't be fun today because Florence is not coming. She misses school a lot now. And I missed her terribly. But I was beginning to get used to it.

When I got to school and headed to my class, a junior student walked up to me and gave me a card. I looked at him quizzically, wondering what it was and why he was giving me a card. And before I could check what was in it, he averted his gaze and scrambled. My eyes followed the boy's movement as he disappeared into one of the classes.

I heaved a sigh and then opened the card to see what was in it. I thought maybe it was just some prank that the junior student loved to play or some sort of confession. But that wasn't the case because there was just a sentence written in it.

Someone wrote boldly in it 'I've marked you'.

I didn't even know the speed that I used in closing the card, then I let out air from my cheek, pondering what kind of statement and joke that was.

What kind of joke is this? I asked myself internally.

Slowly this time around, I opened the card and read the words again. Right there I already know who did it. I knew who had sent that junior student to give me the card. I'm certain that they had threatened the innocent boy.

Staring at the writing on the card, I couldn't help but wonder what he meant by that statement.

I closed the card and threw it in a waste bin along the corridor while I continued on my journey to my class.