¦Chapter 13¦

~ Laila ~

Finally, the boring holiday ended. Christmas and New Year came and went so quickly and another academic session commenced.

I have mixed feelings about the resumption. I was excited because at least I would stop being at home all alone and would be free from taking care of my aunt when she was around. I'd been practically taking care of her since her pregnancy was developing every day.

However, I was sad because I didn't know what this term would hold for me. I couldn't imagine undergoing what I went through with Jason and his minions again this new term. But I made a promise to myself that no matter what happens, I would hold myself back. I did it last term, so I can do it again this term. Although I still hoped that nothing like last term occur again. I hoped Jason and his friends had gotten tired of me and they would finally let me be.

On the first day of school, I resumed but most of the students were yet to resume. So no one bullied me. But I couldn't help but miss my friend and seat partner - Florence. Though we speak with each other occasionally on the phone, it doesn't feel the same way as I wasn't able to see her.

I sat alone with no one to talk to. I kept staring at her seat, hoping she would come tomorrow.

I missed her so much.

It went that way for the first week of resumption. Every place I stepped into in the school reminded me of Florence and it hurt. I never believed that I would miss her so much as I do now. Although I have made friends with Mathias and we study maths together, it still feels different. He was different from Florence. He lacks humour like Florence and sometimes he loves to be alone. I guessed he wasn't yet comfortable with me.

It was a new week, the second week of resumption. The school population was now complete and everyone was back in school, including my tormentors. But they seemed too happy to be back at school and meeting one another again to focus on me. And I was grateful for that. I hoped it would go on that way.

Reluctantly, I went to the cafeteria during lunch. I sat with my food all by myself. My lunch partner and friend were gone and I was all alone with my food.

I was eating quietly when someone came to stand in front of me and when I raised my head to see who it was, it was no other than Sandra. I rolled my eyes and let out a puff of air from my cheek.

"Look like your only friend has abandoned you. She was always defending you, so who will do that now?" she asked in a feigned concern tone.

"I'm not in the mood, Sandra," I told her without raising my head.

She scoffed. "Not in the mood? You are..." She was stopped midway when someone called her name.

It was at that time that I also looked up to see who had called Sandra and dared interrupt her.

It was Mary and her friends. They were approaching my table. They stopped right in front of my table, and they faced Sandra.

"Mary, hi," Sandra greeted with a fake excited grin.

"Hi," Mary replied with an equally fake smile.

Sandra then asked, "Do you need something?"

"Yes," Mary replied, her tone authoritative. Sandra had finally seen her match. However, I was still curious to see what Mary planned to do. "I want you to stop causing a scene in the cafeteria."

Sandra looked shocked. She shifted her gaze from Mary to me, probably wondering if I had asked her for help. But I didn't. I never even spoke to the girl more than once and it was briefly during lessons.