Chapter 16

~ Laila ~

I stood outside the library waiting for Matthias. We had agreed to meet here after lunch. We have a free period after our lunch break. I had planned to meet with him after lunch. He had gone to meet someone I didn't know. I plan on teaching him chemistry and biology. He is lacking in those two subjects.

I was still waiting for him when I saw Jason standing under a mango tree. His headphone is draped over his head as usual. I had not talked with him since last Friday when we spoke.

Favour and George walked over to him. They said something to him which he reply to quietly. He talks so fluently and easily. The way he talk with ease always entice me and I couldn't help but stare at him from afar.

I didn't know when someone walk behind me.

"Hey, it's you, Laila." Mary's voice sounded behind me.

I quickly turn around to look at her pretty fair face. She was smiling. I don't know why she is smiling. But I said

"Hi."

"Hi." She smiles. "What were you looking at?"She asked. I don't want her to know I was staring at Jason. I don't need anyone to start spreading rumours about me having feelings for Jason. I just finished dealing with the talk about the drama between me and his friends.

"Nothing," I replied and I hope she believe me.

She just nodded. I begin to turn away and wait for my friend when she said to me.

"You waiting for someone?" She asked me.

I nodded. I'm still surprised that she is talking to me. She hasn't talked to me once since I came to this school and since I don't pass my boundary I haven't talked to her either. She is born with a silver spoon and she is practically the queen of the school.

No, she is the queen of the school. Her words are command. She commands respect from everyone.

"I want to ask for your advice." She said.

Ask for my advice.

Is she is sick?

Or blind?

Or am I dreaming?

Why will Mary of all people ask for my advice? She has a bunch of friends that could help with anything she asks for. Anything. Even the beauty queen Ivy follows her around like a minion. So why will she want advice from me that is just an ordinary girl who is not born into wealth?

"Okay. I'm all ears." I said. I don't want her to think I don't want to help her so I will listen to her. And help if I could. Since it is something I derive pleasure from - helping others.

She smiles broadly." My dad wants to have his birthday soon and I don't know what to get for him."

Really?

Is that possible? That someone like her doesn't know what to get her father for his birthday. She had the money to get him any damn thing in the world.

She answered my thought." I can get him anything. I have the money. But he is also rich, he can have anything he wants too. So I want to give him something that he will appreciate and will love."

"I'm sure he will love and appreciate anything you give him. " I said.

"Yes but not when it is different." She said. "I want to give him something that he never expects. Something that isn't too expensive. Something he will cherish forever. That's why I need your help."

I don't know if she will like my idea but I won't tell her right away. I will think about it more. I can even ask Uncle Femi for help.

"Do you mind if I think about it first?" I asked.