Chapter 19

~ Laila ~

As I walked into the school which was already crowded with cars, parents, teachers and students from invited schools, I saw Mary and a woman that looks like an older version of her. The woman was well-dressed in fitted pants trousers and a blouse.

Mary saw me from afar and she said loudly to me." Hi Laila."

I had no choice but to go to her and say hi. It is even the right time to tell her about what she requested of me.

"Hi," I said when I get to them with one of my brightest smiles. "Good morning ma."I greeted the older version of Mary.

"Good morning dear." She replied quietly pleased. Her English was fluent and I looked at her in admiration.

"Mom this is Laila, my classmate. And Laila this is my mom." She introduced us to each other. I noticed the pride in her voice when she introduced her mother.

I nodded slowly at the woman. I don't know what to say to her. I don't need to let her know about my strata from my speech. It was something I always feared since I got to this school.

"I will leave you two." She said to the both of us and then she turn to her daughter."I'm going to meet your dad in the hall." Mary nodded with a smile. "See you around Laila." She said to me and walked away confidently like she knows the school so well.

"Are you prepared for today's event?"

"More than you ever know," I replied to her. I'm still surprised that she is talking to me like we've been friends since forever.

"Me too. I'm so excited."She beamed."My dad agreed to make time to come this year. I am overjoyed."

I smiled at her. I am happy that her parents are here for her despite their busy schedules. I am relieved that she didn't ask about my parents. I don't know if they all knew that I am an orphan. Jason posted some weird stuff last term so I don't know how much they know about me because the students seem to know everything about one another.

"About what you ask me..."

"Yes. I'm sorry, I forget."

"Hope I'm not too late. I've been busy with school activities."

"No, you are not. His birthday is still sometime this month." She replied honestly.

"I'm thinking of an album. I don't know if you will like it but this is what I think. You should make a photo album of all the memories you have with your dad. You can add those with his school years, his marriage photos, his anniversary and those memories you have with him. You can do some editing and writing on it. It is not too expensive and it can be kept forever as a reminder. You can also customize a mug that he can use anywhere with one of his favourite pictures." I told her. I don't know if she will like it but it is something I had always wanted to do for my aunt but we don't have a lot of pictures together.

"It's wonderful Laila. I mean it. I love the idea so much. I'm gonna do this." She said so fast hugging me.

To say I was shocked was an understatement but I'm happy that she loves it.

I saw Ivy from afar. I saw the jealousy in her eyes. I don't want her to think that I'm gonna steal away her friend.

"You two should hurry up and go to the hall. The program will be starting soon." I heard Mr Falade shouting at us from afar. Mary grinned at me and pulled me to walk in the direction of the hall. A lot of people were already going in the direction of the school's biggest hall.

**********

~ Jason ~

I picked up my bag and walked out of my room to meet Christian at his apartment but he was already waiting for me in the sitting room. I greeted him with a handshake. We didn't say much and we walked out of the sitting room after I pressed the intercom to tell our youngest house help Tomi that I am leaving the house.

My Nanny went to her daughter's house last night so she won't be late for her granddaughter's event.

The driver was already waiting for us. I noticed Christian mother Lexus was no longer in the park. And I'm sure she left with his siblings before us. They know I love to be alone. And I respect that from the woman.

She doesn't force things as almost everyone does.

My phone began to ring as the driver started to drive out of the compound. I ignored the phone call because I already knows who it was.

It's my mother.

She had been calling ever since I woke up but I don't want to talk to her. And that she didn't understand. If she can't make it, I am not forcing her. It isn't the first time she will be missing such event so she should stop disturbing me. I know if I'm to answer the call, I will say hateful words and it will only make me angry.

I don't need to get angry this morning and I hope someone else doesn't try to do so too.

Christian made phone calls with his grandparents and his girlfriend respectively almost through the ride to school. When we finally get to the school gate. He ended the call and then said to me.

"Why didn't you answer your phone?"

"I don't want to." I huff.

His phone began to ring. He looked at the phone and then back at me.

"It's your mom. So she had been the one calling you which you ignore." He said knowing it all before I even tell him. "You need to answer the phone."

"I don't want to." I said and then turned to the driver. "Stop I want to come down." He hasn't found a place to park the car. The school is so filled up with cars and students. I'm sure it will be one hell of a headache today.

I came out of the car and I heard Christian following after me.

"You need to answer your call. She wants to speak to you. You can't keep ignoring her." Christian said angrily.

"Who said I was ignoring her?" I asked him angrily turning to face him. He was angry too.

Why is he angry? I thought. It is not like I am ignoring his call.

"I don't want to speak to her. Don't you get that?"

"You have to. You need to stop all this attitude that you are giving your mother." He said.

I don't need any fucking advice. Why can't they just let me be?

I went to meet him where he was standing and took the phone from him. I slided the phone screen to answer the call. From the side of my eyes, I could see that Christian was anxious to hear what I have to say.

"Thank God!" I heard my mother breathed out in relief. "How are you darling? I..."

I quickly cut her short. I don't need those sweet talks of hers.

"Don't you get that I don't want to speak with you? You should let me be. Go back to your work." I huffed and I ended the call and threw the phone away.

"Jesus!" Christian exclaimed. I don't need to see his face to know that he is confused and also angry. I begin to walk away. I'm not in the mood to explain myself. My mother had finally succeeded in ruining my mood.

When I was a good distance away, I stop and said loudly enough for Christian at my back to hear me. " I warn you already... if there is any damage, I will get you a new one." And I walked away.