¦Chapter 6¦

~ Jason ~

I came out of the classroom I had hidden myself for an hour, so I could be alone and be allowed to sleep in peace. Call me boring but that was one of the things that keep me sane. And I love it.

I love to be alone. The solitude keeps my mind at ease.

I was ready to go home and I looked at my iPhone wristwatch to check the time. It was past time that we should leave for home. I tried calling Christian, but he wasn't answering his calls.

He had music practice with his band and the music students after class and I waited for him, while he went about with his business. It also gives me a little bit of time to be away from my hell.

But it'd been an hour after school and he wasn't here yet. I had told only him where I was going to be. The practice should have ended by now. But only God knows where he could be.

I do know he was still in school. He would probably be somewhere in the school with a bunch of girls swamping around him like bees on honey. Or he would be smooching one of them. I am quite sure it is the latter because he answers his calls while in practice, so I could wait for him and not leave him stranded in school. But I just couldn't leave him, so I kept trying his number.

I sighed angrily when he still wasn't picking. So I left the old music room I was in and walked out to the field. I found a comfortable seat on one of the bleachers facing the field. I decided to wait there for him because there, I could see anyone coming from the senior block and music room because of the way the field was built. 

I had been sitting there for a while when something drew my attention. Somewhere on the path that led to the car park were my friends. My school friends were the closest persons to me aside from Christian. They were my partners in crimes here at school. My very loyal friends.

And someone else was with them.

Laila Sofela.

They were talking to Laila.

And I pondered on what they could be talking about.

Then I saw Favour walk up to her side. He said something to the rest of the guys. Then turned back to her and tried whispering something close to her ears. But she jeered back a little. Laila said something to them and then made to leave, but Favor quickly moved closer to her and held her wrist. Then he moved to her front to prevent her from leaving, I guess. 

Just from looking at them, I knew they were playing their usual games because I know deep well that none of them count her as someone special to give attention to. Laila was the unfortunate one to be their subject of amusement. I shrugged then looked away.

But then, the image of Favour holding Laila's hand flashed back in my memory and I turned back in their direction. They were laughing at something - maybe from what she said. I don't know why it affected me, but it did. I just couldn't get the image out of my mind

Favour holding Laila's wrist.

Why does it suddenly seem to affect me? I kept questioning myself as I watched them talk. I was angry at the proximity. I took my bag from my side and climbed down the bleachers. And I walked up to them with long strides.

Laila was pushing Favour away when I got to where they were. Favour only moved back from the impact but he kept holding her wrist. Saheed was the first person to see me and he was giving me a stare that read surprise. Maybe he thought I already left. And the smile on his face disappeared. He must have read my countenance and he knew I wasn't pleased with what Favour was doing.