Chapter 18

~ Jason ~

There was a soft knock on the door of my room. There were only two people who knocks before entering my room. First was my mother and second is my nanny and house keeper. Christian doesn't need to knock. He walked in any time he feels like and I never complain because I do the same.

I knew it was my nanny because my mother was not at home. She was rarely at home. Right now, she is in her company's headquarters which is at Abuja.

"Come in."

The door opened and she walked in. I greeted her quietly.

"How was school today?" she asked.

"Fine," I replied. I don't want to say normal like I usually does and which she hated to hear.

"I saw the message about your school annual interschool competition. I already told your mom. But I guessed she had also received it for a while now because she said she had paid for it," she told me.

My face contoured into a frown. I don't need to hear that. Without any one telling me, I already know that and I don't care.

That was what she is good at. That was what she always do.

"She is still busy over there. I don't know if she will be able to come."

"I never ask her to," I huffed.

She sighed. She knew I was already getting angry because she was talking about my mother.

"I talk to Christian mom and she said she will be attending the event."

I rolled my eyes. My nan could be so funny sometimes.

It was a tradition. It is a must. Christian mother always attends any events that her kids are having at school. Her work gives her the freedom and she really care about her children happiness. So, it was not new that she would be attending the event so will his younger siblings.

"Jason, I'm sorry I won't be able to attend. My granddaughter is having her inter house sport that same day and she had been asking me to come and cheer her up that day which I promise I will. The news about your interschool competition came late unless I won't have promised her. I'm so sorry," she apologized. She looked like she just stab me a knife.

I don't know why she felt that way.

Well, they were all used to pitying me.

And I hated it.

But she was sincere and I don't want her to worry about something I never give a damn about.

"You don't have to be sorry. It's okay," I said. Its doesn't seem to change her emotion.

"I'm serious it's fine. You need to go and cheer Itunu up. She will love that. You were there last year and the year before so it is fine. And Its not like I am performing any thing," I said with a small smile.

She nodded."Thank you. Your mom may..." I gave her a look which make her to stop. I'm in a better mood now not really a good mood but I don't want to ruin my mood. She won't like it either so she stopped.

"Why are you not performing again this year?" she asked.

"I don't feel like it."

"You have never feel like it. You should have done something to make you happy."

"That won't make me happy," I said a little bit too harsh. "I'm sorry," I muttered. I know I don't need to be rude at her. She was only trying to give me an advice.

She exhaled loudly. But she was quiet. Sometimes I wondered how she cope with my mood swing,frown, short reply and harsh tone. But I guessed taking care of me for eight years had make her get use to my attitude.

"I hope you find something that makes you happy very soon," she said with so much concern and hope in that sentence.

I said nothing but stared at the expensive ceramic pot at the top of my cupboard.

"I'll leave you now. Come down early to have your dinner okay?" she said.

"Yes." I nodded and she walked out of the room.

I fell on my back on the blue comforter on the bed and stared at the ceiling above. I was supposed to be angry or sad that nan won't be coming to my school event but I am not. This time I don't really care if I have no one to come.

I would have stay at home but I don't want to. There was nothing to do here than to have bad memories and nightmares. That was why my painting have sad interpretation. There represented sadness, loneliness, pain and bad events because that was just what my life was about.

That was the definition of my life.

But I'm going to attend the event not because my mother already paid for it. Who cares? The money means nothing. She gives them more than that each year for donations. But because I need to leave the house.

Been in school, I got to feel different. I feel special because I am feared.

But not just that, I would go and cheer my best friend. He deserves it. And also, I wants to watch Laila perform. I heard she would be debating. She was also helping in conducting the junior class quiz.

I love to see her talk. That had never been a problem for her. That I know very well.

A smile crept up to my face at the thought of her. I like the way her lips move when she talks and when she smile.

Nevertheless, I hoped things turn out well that day. I don't want to ruin anybody day so I hope they stay away from me.

*****

~ Laila ~

I was a little sad because my aunt won't be able to make it to the interschool competition. She would be leaving two days to the time for her seminar. Mr and Mrs Anthony had gone to Canada for their yearly trip. And because of that, I was alone in this.

"I'm sorry Laila. I will make it up to you," she said bringing me a little comfort. At least I know she really wished to be there and since she paid the fee, I was more than grateful.

It was one of the few times in my life that I really miss my parents and I wished they were here. I don't usually miss them a lot. I don't know why. Maybe I was just contented with the way things are.

But I knew deep down that I want to know them. I want to know how they look like, what happen to them, which of them is related to my aunt.

I wanted to ask my aunt about them but it like something was holding me back from doing so. Maybe one day I would find the courage to do so.

I opened my book and began to practice for the debate. I was going to be the lead speaker of the opposing team and I ought to do well.

AUTHOR NOTE: Here is another chapter. The next chapter would be the interschool competition. Please vote and share. Thanks for reading.

Ily all.