Chapter 63

Laila POV

My aunt didn't leave for work early the next day because she was exhausted from the one day trip to Ibadan. After dressing my nephew, I took him to the day care.

When she woke up later in the middle of the day, it was a perfect time to ask.

She didn't like the fact I want to delay her business another minute after she had spend half of the day sleeping.

"Laila we will discuss whatever you want to ask tomorrow." She said opening her closet to bring out clothes to wear for the day.

"It has to be now aunt. I want you to answer me now." I told her determined.

"What's your problem Laila? Why are you acting so stubborn?" She said spreading the clothes on the bed beside me.

"I have to. This is important. I can't wait any longer." I told her which is the truth.

"Fine. What is it?" She asked.

"I want to know about my parents." I deadpan.

She stop what she was doing and she turn to face me. Her face had grown pale in the matter of seconds.

"Aunty." I called quietly.

"Laila we will discuss that later. Why are you even asking?"

"I ought to ask because it is my right to know. And you are the only one who can give me answers. I am curious aunt. I had been in the blind for too long. I have waited for the day you will tell me about it. But you never did and it looks like you don't want to." I said watching her every reaction.

"T.. That is not true. They are your... Parents. I will tell you when you are ready." She said and she look away.

"No I'm ready. I want you to tell me now."

"Laila." She was angry but now I don't care. I'm angry too. I am just putting mine in check.

"No aunt. You have to tell me now. I have already meet Mrs Badmus." I told her.

And her every composure break down. She look defeated. I guess she knows that if I have meet her, I should probably know the truth.

"What did she say to you?" She asked. She sat defeatedly on the bed.

I kind of felt for her. But this is not time to be showing weakness because I know my aunt will soon get over this and she might want to use it as a distraction.

"Nothing. Just that she knew my parents and who she was to them. She ask me to ask you for the story." I answered her.

"And you believe what you heard from a stranger?"

"I know I don't really know her but I can feel there is some kind of connection between us. And I know the woman sincerely like me like a child. I know she isn't lieing. But you still need to tell me all you know
about my parents. I have the right to know. And I am ready." I said confidently to her.

She look at me and she bow her head. She knew she had no other choice but to tell me what I want to know. She might be all strong and confident but her sister death still hunt her and it touch something rare inside her.

If she is not ready to lose me - because that is what will happen if she lie to me or want to keep the truth any longer - she have to tell me everything.

"What do you want to know?" She asked quietly. She wasn't looking at me.

"Everything. I want to know about my parents, their lives and also about you and my mom."