Chapter 33

~ Laila ~

The school hour is over and students had begin to leave the class for their respective home. After saying goodbye to Mathias who had to go and take his little sister in the primary building - a task he insisted on doing. I sat in the class to go through some of my notes.

I have only few time to study at home and lately I am too weak to read at night. So I try to read some of my notes before going for swimming practice and then leave for home.

I didn't know when Efosa came into the class until he said hey.

"Hey." He said quietly not to frightened me

"Efosa. Hi." I replied looking at him. He took a seat beside me.

"You look busy."

"Not really. I am just going through my notes." I said gesturing to the notes and printed papers.

"Okay. Do you mind if I tell you something?" He said looking at me intently which makes me feel a little uncomfortable.

The atmosphere was normal just a minute ago but now I am beginning to feel unease.

I just realized the classroom and hallway is already becoming empty.

I nodded trying to hide my nervousness.

"No. Of course not. "

"You are different Laila." He started still loking at me. And I swallow nervously. "You are so unique in a way i can't comprehend. And you are also beautiful and smart. "

I don't think I like where this conversation is heading. "I like you Laila. And I...." He paused.

There is something about the way he talks. I don't know him to be shy but he is acting like one now.

Is he pretending or just lieing to me?

Well i don't care. He is just my friend and nothing more. I made that clear when we met.

"You are my friend and like you as just a friend and classmate, nothing more. I'm sorry. I don't have any other feelings aside that."

"But You don't have a boyfriend. Why can't you give me a chance?"

"How are you so sure I don't have one? But that's not the case, I already told you before, we can only be friends." I said trying to convince him.

"Please Laila. I don't know how to help this feeling I am having for you. Why don't you give me a chance? Please." He begged touching my hands. I slowly remove my hands from his and I can see the hurt in his eyes.

I don't mean to hurt him and I am not enjoying hurting his feelings but I can't help it. I can't give him what he want and this situation is  uncomfortable and weird for me.

"I can't promise what I can't give." I said.

"Is it because of Mathias?" He asked.

What does Mathias have to do with this? Does he think there is something going on between me and Mathias? He is actually wrong if he think so.

"Mathias." I said. "Mathias is my best friend and more like a brother." I said slightly irritated.

"I'm sorry. I misunderstood." He apologized with a sorry look but it quickly change. "So why won't you try going out with me?"

"I can't. I will rather tell you the truth  than lie. This can't work. "

"It can. You can do this. You can give us a chance." He touch my hands again.