Chapter 55

Jason POV

During breakfast my mom decide to join me. I was reluctant to sit with her. But I just want to let some things go, just like Laila advised. It may be hard but I want to do it and moreover she seems sincere.

"How is the preparation for your WASSCE?" She asked almost quietly.

"Okay." Was my short reply.

And we sat in silence eating our breakfast after that. The tension has reduce but it was still there. I know there are a lot of questions she want to ask but she is refraining herself from asking.

There are still a lot of unsaid words between us but it can't just happen over night. Although, this is a start I guess but we still have long way to go and it will surely take time.

So I am glad she isn't pushing so hard because it might just ruin everything.

"About your hair...."

I quickly cut her short. "I'm not talking about my hair." I said coldly.

I hate people talking about my hair. Every one seem to be complaining about it. But that is their problem. There have no say in what I want. She had also never talk about my hair so I wonder why she want to talk about it now.

She just smiled. "What I want to say is I like it."

Well, that left me dumbfounded.

I wasn't expecting that. Maybe that was why she never complained about it.

"I always like it. It looks good on you. Most especially the new haircut." She said looking at my hair.

I looked at her to find any trace of lie but there wasn't any. She was sincere about it.

"Thanks." I muttered. "I'm going." I said getting up on my feet and I carried my bag from the chair beside me.

"Do you mind if I drive you to school?" She asked. There was hope and pleading in her voice and she looked at me with such intensity that I can't refuse.

Although, it is the first time she will ever ask to drive me to school or to take me to school.

When I was little, I always wanted her to but now, I don't know what I want.

"Aren't you going to work?" I asked.

"Not yet. I still have time."

She was still looking at me with hope, hoping I would say yes. So to make her happy, I shrugged and agreed.

"If you want to." I replied without looking at her. "I will go call Christain."

"Okay sweetheart. I will meet you at the car park." She said with a new sort of joy. Her eyes were twinkling with something I can't explain.

But I said nothing and just left the dinning and then out of the house.

I went back to the car park to meet my mom who was still waiting in the car. I opened the back door and I threw my bag on the seat before closing it and then opening the front door. And I sat beside my mother in the front.

I can't sit at the back because she isn't my driver but my mom.

"Where is Christian?" She asked.

"He isn't ready. He will be late today." I said to her.

She nodded and she started the car while I turned on my tab.

The drive to the school was quiet. My mother just stole glances at me occasionally and I pretended not to see her as I kept typing off on my tab.