Chapter 45

Jason POV

I approach the basketball court where Mr Ambrose, the junior PHE teacher and basketball coach stood discussing with Mr Ben, the basketball part time teacher. He is a popular trainer who is a half Nigerian and half Senegalese and the school had to employ him to come teach the students basketball since they are not making good record in the school.

"Good day sir." I greet the two men when I got to where they stood.

The shock on Mr Ambrose face is very obvious. So is the disgust. I know deep well that he doesn't like me. I actually don't care. He is not the reason I am here. This time I want to do something that I am happy to do. And I care less what anyone thinks.

"Good day Johnson." Mr Ambrose replied with exasperation.

"Good day. How are you? Aren't you the son of Dr. Mrs Janet Adebowale Johnson?" Mr Ben asked.

He know my mother.

Well, a lot of people know her.

I nodded. "Yes. She's my mother." I think this is the first time I am acknowledging my mother to anyone. I just ignore the question or just simply say yes.

"Oh! That's great. Your mother is  a wonderful woman. I met her twice in a conference and she is a very nice woman. She is simple and very charming. It's nice to see you, her son." Mr Ben said. I just nod at him. I'm getting tired with this talk.

"So what are you doing here Johnson?" He asked.

I show them my form that I just filled to join the basketball team.

"I want to join the basketball team." I told them.

"What? Why will Miss Irene let you sign the form? You are already in SS 3. You have only one term left. Why will you want to join now. You've been in this school since I could remember and you didn't join the team. Why now?"

"Because this is when I feel like I want to." I replied looking at him with a bored look.

He look away angrily.

"Do you even have any idea how to play basketball? I already have enough trouble to handle then you."

I was about to say something when Mr Ben speak up. He touch Mr Ambrose on the shoulder and said.

"Give the boy a chance Mr Ambrose. You shouldn't underestimate any child. If he have the passion to learn, he can do wonders." He said.

Its my first time meeting this man but I think I already like him. He seems to have something upstairs than the so called Coach.

" But Mr Ben.... "

The man shake his head with a smile stopping him.

" He already fill the form. It's not a big deal to have an additional player. The team need it." He said to the man.

And he reluctantly nodded.

"When will your Jersey be ready?" He asked.

"Next week."

"I hope you have read the rules and regulations."

"Yes sir. And I agread with them." I said to save myself from another question.

He nod and look at Mr Ben who just smile.

"Welcome to the team Johnson." He said.

"Thank you sir." I appreciate.

The rest of the basketball team begin to approach the basketball court in their jersery that had the school logo and the name of the team in the front and their initial and surname at the back with their bags.