¦Chapter 5¦

~ Laila ~

The rest of the week was better. It went well. Gratefully, Jason did not cause any scene that week. Until the following week.

It had happened in the gym room with a senior. But I wasn't there. I heard students talking about it.

"You heard what happened in the gym?" One of them asked her friends.

I was sitting in the cafeteria next to their table while they discussed.

"Yes, I do," another one replied.

"What happened? I didn't hear anything," said the third one in their midst.

The two girls turned to their friends who were staring curiously at them, waiting for a response.

"Senior Yusuf mistakenly spilled coke on Jason's back and bag while he was walking past him. It was just a simple mistake o. It happened because he was talking and laughing with some of his friends as they moved past Jason. And guess what..."

"He acted his drama," the first one answered with a pained expression on her face. I can't tell if it was real or a fake one.

"It's just like him. He would be a bastard if he did not react. He would have done something so painful to that innocent handsome senior. That Jason boy is a devil incarnate. So what did he do this time around to senior Yusuf?"

I almost laughed at what the third girl said. She just insulted Jason and believed that he would have done something, but she was still curious to find that out.

"You are right o. Jason asked his friends to go to his class and get his notes and then they bought coffee and coke and then started pouring it on his books and bag and even on his face," the first girl said dramatically gesticulating with her hand like she was pouring an invisible liquid on the table.

The third girl exclaimed with her mouth forming a wide o.

Dramatic much, I thought to myself. I was about to take my attention away from their conversations - as I was already getting pissed with their story of what Jason did - when I heard something shocking.

"I wouldn't really blame Jason though," the second girl said, twisting her braid with her index finger.

My brow furrowed in the middle at her statement just like her friend who had the same confused and angry expression on their faces.

"You girls should not look at me like that. What? I'm telling the truth."

"Which truth? We know you're saying this because you have a kind of crush on the devil."

"That's not it. People gossip but they don't say the whole truth. They mostly sugarcoat it to their satisfaction so they can get a reaction from those listening. My brother was at the gym then."

"Yeah, he is in Jason's class."

"So what happened?" the second one asked but she didn't sound very curious. It looked like she preferred her own version of the story.

"Senior Yusuf didn't feel remorseful when he spilled his coke on Jason. Instead, he dared him with his eyes and simply walked away. Even his friends told him to apologize to make peace reign but he just waved them off," she explained to her friends.

Oh! So that is the real side of the story.

Turning back to my food, I drown the rest of their words out.

*****

I was in the class helping Florence to copy some of her notes. She was so slow at writing and not very good at spelling, so I decided to help her.