Chapter 38

This chapter is dedicated to Amyirechi, MaggieUdoh, flawlew1, MercyPaul05, Ugwuchioms and WendyOpurum212  for your lovely words of encouragement and votes.

Jason POV

I watch as Laila titrate for our volumetric analysis practical.
She put all concentration in it. Isabella had also finish the second part of the titration and she ask Mathias something quietly. And he nodded with a small smile.

I think there is something going on between those two. Don't blame me for saying that because I don't usually get concern with things like that but I have spend half of my time this week in school with them and I can't help but notice.

Whatever, Mathias is a good guy. So lucky her.

"My readings are 4.67." She said and she look at me. I write down her reading in the notepad Isabella gave to me.

"I got 4.63 as my readings." Isabella said.

"The difference isn't too big." Laila said without looking at anyone in particular.

She talks about the procedures while Mathias hold the recorder to record what she is saying. As usual, she talks fluently and confidently without making mistake.

She ask for our suggestions. Mathias gave his suggestion and Isabella nodded in agreement. Then all eyes fell on me.

"What?" I asked them.

"Your suggestion Jason." Isabella said quietly.

"None."

" Are you really serious? You've said absolute nothing since we started this practical." Laila said quite frustrated.

"I have none. So? I can perform titration." I said.

She rolls her eyes and turn away. She begins to clear the beakers and other equipment been used. Isabella join her and Mathias help in returning the equipment back to their original position.

He gesture for me to help but I refuse shaking my head and he just sigh without saying anything.

When they were done Mathias and Isabella said their goodbyes and they pick their bags and left.

Laila took a broom and she swept the area where she had finish working. I don't know why she have to do that because they are cleaners whose job is to do just that.

I take my book and begin to jot some things down. I stop to stare at her when she was done sweeping. She arrange her books into her bag.

"Are you going to keep avoiding me?" I asked.

She stop what she is doing and then said. "Why will I have to avoid you? I'm in the same room with you. "

" Yes but you are still avoiding me. And you know the answer to that"

" I don't. I don't have any reason to avoid you. "

She picks up her bag and she hang it on her shoulder." We'll see tomorrow in class. " She said flatly and turn to leave.

I hold her hand and stop her from going. She look shock and then look at my hand on hers. She jerk her hand away. And to be honest, it hurt.

"I have to go." She said and she quickly turns around to leave.

"I'm sorry." I apologize. And she came to a stop.

In my entire life, I had only apologized to two people sincerely. First is my best friend and my nanny whenever I hurt them. I don't usually apologise except I'm force to. And it is never sincere. I think i have too much pride that won't let me do it. Instead I get apology from others.

But this time, I know I have to do this. I can't continue to deny my feelings for her. It hurt so much whenever she is ignoring me. I miss talking to her even if it is just a few time we talk. And it's one of the advise I got from a good friend.

I look up to see her reaction.

Laila POV

"I'm sorry." I heard him say as i begin to walk out of the laboratory.

It makes me stop in my track. It's kind of surprising that he could apologize. I have never hear him apologize and non that i have heard of.

The words held different emotion. He was sincere and also regretful.

It is the least of the thing i am expecting.

What am I even expecting? I ask myself.

I have been trying to avoid him since last term that he rejected my feelings. But I think fate wants to hurt me by making Mr Ejiro put us together in the same group.

And since we are in the same group, there is no avoiding him. We have to work together as a group in the same place.

I still feel my heart flutters when I'm around him but it is not helping me in achieving my goal of overcoming my crush for him.

Today have been most uncomfortable. Mathias and Isabella had to leave early since they had a date. I have to be left alone with Jason.

It takes all the willpower in me not to abandon the equipment and the cleaning so i won't be left in the room with Jason. But I'm not train to be like that and I won't let him know he is affecting me.

I don't even know why he is staring at me.

As I pack my notes book and textbook into my bag, he asked. "Are you avoiding me?" I didn't expect the question but I am not surprised.

I just give him a reply so as not to be rude.

Honestly, it is because I kind of miss talking to him. And I also don't want him to know he is affecting me.

" Why will I have to avoid you? I'm in the same room with you. " I said stopping what I was doing and then I continued.

" Yes but you are still avoiding me. And you know the answer to that" He said.

" I don't. I don't have any reason to avoid you. "

I picked up my bag and hang it on my shoulder when I finish packing my property. I gave him a quick glance and said to him flatly." We will see in class tomorrow. "And I turn around to leave.

And he did another shocking thing - he held my hands to stop me.

Not only was I shock but i felt this spark where he touch me and my stomach churn. I love the feeling and at the same I don't because it is a reminder that I still get affected by Jason. And as much as I want to stop whatever feelings I have for him, i still do.

I quickly jerk my hands away.

"I have to go ." I said quickly, swallowing hard.

And right then he said what I had always wanted him to say. I want him to try and show emotions. He should also know that he is wrong and he had wrong others and..... Me. He need to learn to apologize for his wrongdoings. And admit it.

And to me, he finally did.

It was so sincere. I can also hear the hurt and regret in them.

******

Don't forget to vote.
Thanks for reading and the time.
Love you all.

Rhoda.