Part 57 (Colby's POV)

Jake shrugs. "Like I said, you can't blame me for being curious."
I stare. If I was going to be honest, I was a little hungry, but I didn't want to hurt him. "No." I say. "If you really want to know how it feels, ask Penny. I don't have the control she does, so it's very likely I'd hurt you." Then I look up at the ceiling when I hear footsteps. From what I could tell, it was coming from Corey's room, so it was probably Devyn.
"Colby?" Corey asks.
I look back down. "Yeah?"
He glances up at the ceiling, then back down at me. "What are you doing?"
"Was Devyn asleep when I got here?"
"She went to bed, but I don't know if she was sleeping."
"She's up now."
Sam leans back, blowing his blonde hair out of his eyes. "This is weird." He mutters.
I laugh. "If you think it's weird for you, Sam, you have no idea what's weird." He frowns at me. He clearly forgot I could hear him.
"What's weird?" We all look to the doorway and see Devyn. She moves to Corey and sits down on his lap. Corey wraps his arms around her small waist, resting his chin on her shoulder, his chocolate brown eyes on me.
I lean forward. "Imagine it like this. Imagine that you're blind. Imagine that you're deaf. That's kind of what it's like being human compared to being a vampire. I wasn't able to hear or see or smell as I can now. I woke up five weeks ago and was able to see each individual piece of string in the curtains. I woke up and was able to smell so many new scents that I had never even knew existed. I heard more than one heart beating like it was right by my ear." I explain. Then I lean back. "Waking up to all that? It's more than weird."
"But you also woke up wanting to drain seven people." Sam says quietly.
I pause. "There are downfalls."
"Like what?" Jake asks. "So far I've been hearing some good things. You can make someone high just by drinking their blood, you can hear, see and smell better than us, you're faster, stronger, tougher. You're almost invincible now."
I shrug. "Except to fire."
"Still. You can literally be torn to shreds and still live. What downfalls can there be?"
"Um, how about when my teeth show to a fan? I don't think they would like to see me with fangs." I say. "Or anyone who meets me? They'd be able to tell something isn't right. Like Kat said, I feel like stone. I'm as cold as stone. I'm stronger. I could seriously hurt a fan without realizing. And, again, I don't have much control. Not like Penny. If I smell a fan who smells even remotely good..." I break off. I didn't need to finish anyways. They know what could happen.
"Have you been working on your control?" Devyn asks slowly, as if she was afraid of asking.
"If you're wondering if I can even feed from someone without Penny being there, then no." I answer. "I'd most likely kill them if she wasn't there."
"Then have her here." Jake says.
I shake my head. "I'm not feeding from you, Jake. Besides, she has enough to do without helping me everything."
"What do you mean?" Kat asks. "She was able to come over almost all the time before-" She gives me a slightly frightened look.
"I don't care if you talk about it." I tell her.
She nods. "She came over all the time before you were turned."
I sigh. "I don't know anything about it from Penny, but from what my now clan mates say, a rival clan is starting problems with mine. We think they're doing it because Micheal went to them when he was banished, but we're not sure."
"Rival clan?" Sam asks. "I thought there was like four or five clan in LA?"
"There is. My clan is the biggest, but the second biggest has always hated my clan. That's just what I'm told."
"Well, if some kind of fight or war breaks out," Devyn says. "You might want to learn how to feed without having Penelope watch."
I grit my teeth. "I'm working on it."