Part 67

On my orders, Salina and Colby worked together to perfect his new power. Although he asked, I didn't let him work with me. I had too much information he didn't need to know. I didn't want him to get too worried about his friends.
Every report I got back from Tommo got more and more worrying. Each report gave information about voiced thoughts and tactics to use. Although Tommo wasn't sure if they were going after the Trap House or my clan, I had to believe it could be either, and that both were in danger.
I lean against the brick corner of an old building, in the darkness of a broken street lamp. My arms were crossed as my eyes scanned the street and buildings. Above me, Turner, Colby, and three other newborns stood on the rooftops, watching for any sign of enemies. Salina was back at the mansion, feeling a little upset that I wouldn't let her come.
I push off the wall, standing straight but rigid, as I heard several footsteps on the rooftops. I glance up quickly and see the silhouettes of about four heads. Looking down the street they stood above, I watched as the leader of the Dragons calmly walking towards me.
The leader, Felix, stopped a few yards away, his white blond hair still and long, almost touching his shoulders. Then he holds his arms out and smiles. "Penelope, dear." He greets me, his dark green eyes sparkling. Above me, I heard a soft growl that I knew was Colby.
I don't smile. "Felix." I reply, my voice stiff.
"Well, this isn't an ideal place of meeting." He says, looking around, his arms dropping. He glances up at the roofs above me. "And you brought some friends! Tell me," He looks down at me. "Is the youngest your vampire One? The one who so nicely growled at me?"
"He doesn't concern you." I say, feeling my anger slowly rise. "I brought them, just as you brought yours."
"One of such importance cannot come without some protection."
"Likewise."
"So, to what do I owe the pleasure of this meeting?" He brings his hands together.
"I'd like to make a deal."
Felix raises his thin blond eyebrows. "A deal?" I don't respond, waiting for him to continue. "What is this deal you have?"
"Stay out of my clan territory. Stay away from anyone, human or vampire, that resides in my territory."
"And what do I gain from this?"
"The Regime will not be notified." I say. "I know that you have let your vampires roam free into my territory, feeding on humans that reside there, possibly planning to kill some more. Do you know what the Regime does to those who do not follow the laws they have laid down?"
He pauses, and for the first time, I see confusion and fear flash through his eyes. "Possibly planning to kill more?" He asks. "Have you got a spy?"
I don't answer his question. "Is this a deal?"
"Stay out of your territory for no Regime interference?" From his tone, I knew he despised the Regime. I didn't blame him, although I'd never say that out loud, but the Regime kept us vampires alive.
I keep quiet, waiting for his answer as he studies me, watching to see if I was being serious.
"No, this is not a deal." He says. "If you ask me, the Regime could be taken down. Same goes for your dear Regime One."
I stare, my lips parting in shock. How did he know? I recover, secretly deciding to lie. "Regime One?" I ask, putting some laughter in my voice. "What are you on about?"
He laughs. "You know exactly what I'm talking about."
I scowl and turn m head to the side slightly, shaking my head. "No, don't think I do."
"You're saying my sources are wrong?"
"You're saying you have a spy?" I fire back.
Felix narrows his eyes. "Well played." He smiles. "I will find your spy."
"As I will find yours."
His smiles broadens, and his eyes flick to the rooftops above me. "I'd protect your One if I were you." He says. "If it's true he's Regime, he's valuable."
I step forwards, pointing at him threateningly. "Touch him and you will surely regret it." I hiss, my voice low and dangerous.
His smile doesn't fade. "If this deal of yours is the best you've got, then be ready."
I nod. "Oh, I am."
He nods, then turns and runs down the street, disappearing from view in seconds. Above me, his companions follow. I stare after them, and only when I feel the presence of Colby and the others do I look away.
I lead the way back to the mansion. When I step inside, I call out, "Salina, Colby. Upstairs, now." Colby follows me up to my room, Salina appearing right after. "He knows." I say.

MineOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara