Part 66 (Colby's POV)

She holds out her hand. "Try again. See what I'm currently thinking."
I nod and take her hand again. Her face vanishes and I see the scene again. This time Penny was standing right behind Dave, her hands on either side of his head. Then she yanks to one side, and his head snaps clean off. She holds the head up in the air and shouts into the air filled with cheering.
"This is what happens to anyone who betrays us!"
Suddenly the scene changes, although very differently. It looked like a badly tuned TV. One second I'm watching Penny ripping Dave's head off, next static appears, and through the blur, I see my own face. Then it goes back to Penny, then back to me.
Then it clears, and my face comes into focus. I was wearing a far away look, my eyes unfocused and staring. My hand was grasping Salina's tightly, my knuckles white.
She pulls her hand away, and I blink the vision disappearing. "What did you see?"
"I saw Penny kill him. Then it changed and I saw myself."
She nods. "I was hoping you'd see yourself."
"Do I really look that unfocused?"
"Yes, you do." She laughs. "You look like you're seeing some raunchy shit and don't know what to think." I laugh. "But you are getting better." She adds. She holds her hand out again. "Try one more time. This time I'm thinking of something else. Try to guess what it is."
Again, I take it, and it was so sudden, I felt myself lean back. I was seeing myself again, leaned back, my eyes wide but unfocused. Then I'm gone, and I try to push my way forward, expanding myself out. Immediately, a scene appears, showing myself. This time though, instead of sitting down holding hands with Salina, I was laying down on the bed, my arms held down by her and Penny. I watched as I struggled to get them off me, the scent of unshed blood filling my nose. Penny was trying to calm me down, and then leaned over and kissed me. I saw my body freeze, the violent struggling gone. Penny pulls away and motions another vampire, Turner, over. I watched as Turner stood by the bedside, holding an unconscious girl in his arms bridal style. Penny takes her arm, but looks down at myself.
"Listen to her heart. If her heart starts going slow, you stop. Okay?" She says. I see myself nod, and she brings the girl's arm closer, letting go of one of my arms. "Salina, don't." She says, as I feel myself moving to let my other arm go. I watch myself take the girl's arm and bite down on her wrist.
Salina pulls her hand away. "What did you see this time?"
"The first time I fed."
She nods. "Good. You're getting better. You just need to practice that. Now let's see if you can control it." She sticks her hand out. "Try to keep from seeing into my mind. Like we're just shaking hands or something."
I take hers, and the thoughts start flooding my mind, flashes of them, one after another. I feel my chest expand as I take a breath, and try to stem the flow. They start slowing down, so that I could see more of each thought. I push my mind out, and the more I did, the slower the thoughts came until they stopped. Now I was staring at our hands, but the buzzing of thoughts in the back of my mind told me I still had access to them, but I just wasn't using it now. I look up at Salina's face.
"What are you two doing?"
Salina and I jump apart, looking to the door of the room to see Penny standing there, one eyebrow raised in an unamused way.
"Practicing." Salina answers, her hand over her heart. "God, Penny, if I still had a working heart, I would've had a heart attack."
She ignores Salina comment. "Practicing what?"
"Well, he can now control whether he sees into someone's mind or not."
Penny pauses. "That's good." She says. "It'll help."
"What if the Regime comes?" I ask.
She pauses before answering. "I don't know. This has never happened before."