Chapter 22

A month later and with college done for that school year, Rafaela began to work full shifts on the shop, much against James will, who insisted she didn't have to work eight hours a day.

"You know you didn't have to work all these hours princess." James told her at the table.

"Yes I do. I know my mother has been giving us some money James, but the baby needs so many things, we need this extra money I am making." She argued. James took a deep breath as he heard her words, deep inside he knew she was right.

"I don't feel good with it, that's all." He told her.

"Why not?" She asked grabbing his hand.

"Because I should be the one providing a good life for you, especially now that you're pregnant and you are exhausted. I can see that, you even fall asleep on the couch at night baby...this is killing me."

"I don't mind sweetie, honestly..." She assured him.

"But I mind." He said looking away from her. "I mind that I sometimes come home so late because I am in the studio and you have to walk here because there's not enough money now for the gas of both cars. I mind that you're just working hard on that damn shop to provide things for our kid, I am this baby's father!"

"You're working as well!" She stated. "You're recording another album James, that's good, just be patient sweetie, you'll see everything will turn out good." She supported him.

"Yeah...but in order for me to be in the studio you're the one working hard." He sighed.

"Don't be like that." She said caressing his hair.

James ran a hand over her belly and then place a kiss on it. "It's growing." He smiled tenderly. He never knew he'd love that almost inexistent thing so much at that point.

"And I am getting fat." She pouted a little bit looking down at her 10 weeks lump.

"No you're not." James got up and kissed her. "You're beautiful."

"Wait until I am really round and square and with this huge belly." She said. James giggled.

"You'll be amazingly beautiful." He told her resting his hands on her shoulders. "The belly will be huge indeed but you're not going to be round and square and I will still love you a lot because I just love you no matter what."

"Take me to the shop now, it's time to go." She asked him. James nodded and went to grab the keys. On Saturdays they would not record, but Rafaela, on that one had to work, so he drove her there.

"I'll pick you at eight." He said kissing her lips.

"I can walk baby." She said.

"No you can't, when I am free you just can't walk back home, I will pick you up." He insisted.

"Ok." She smiled. "Have fun."

"Bye." He said kissing her one more time.

James stayed there with his heart aching as he saw her going inside the shop. He couldn't bare the fact that he'd be having fun with his friends while she had to work and for moments he cursed the fact that he had chosen to be in a band instead of having a regular job as anyone else. Then, when he could no longer see her, he drove to his ex. house.

"Rafi is not with you?" Corinne asked when he got in.

"No, I just left her at work." He sounded a bit grumpy.

"I haven't seen her this whole week." She added.

"She's been working full-time now that college is over and she's been pretty tired, exhausted actually."