Chapter 23

"Wow...you're already dressed!" James exclaimed as he entered the hospital's room.

"Yes, the doctor came here a while ago and told me I was free to go." She said kissing his lips as he approached her.

"So, can we leave?" James asked pulling a strand of her wavy hair behind her ear.

"Not yet. He told me to wait, I guess there's some papers he needs to deliver me. You look tired baby." Rafaela commented as she stared at his pale face.

"I didn't sleep that well. I missed you in bed..." He pouted a bit making her giggle.

"I'm going home already." She said standing on the tip of her toes to peck him. Meanwhile the doctor came in.

"Rafaela, here is some medicines you need to take ok? I changed your vitamin supplies to something stronger." Seeing her concerned look he shook his head. "Your baby is fine, don't worry about it. It's growing alright, everything is normal, don't worry. It's just you, for you." He explained.

"Ah...I thought the baby wasn't developing alright or something." She said feeling calmer.

"Don't worry, your baby is strong. Now...no work at all, try to rest as much as you can. I mean, there's no need to stay in bed all day or anything, and you can go out and have a normal life. Just sleep good hours, feed yourself well, no stress is important, stress will make your baby anxious and when he's born you two will be in trouble dealing with him."

"So she can proceed with a normal life?" James asked the doctor.

"Maybe I can work part-time then." Rafaela added.

"No Rafaela. You passed out because of fatigue that is true but also because you were too stressed out. Your system decided to shut down, so no...no work. Calm life as soon as possible. When your baby is born, then you can work and be as busy as you want." The doctor ordered.

"Ok." James nodded.

After hearing all the doctor's orders they left. James paid the bill under Rafaela's surprising look and then held her hand on their way to her car.

"Where did you get the money to pay the hospital?" She inquired him.

"We'll talk at home." He said.

"James?" She halted and pulled her hand away, staring at him. "Where did you get the money?" She asked him again.

"I'll tell you at home baby, really. Let's go...come on..." He walked to her and kissed her lips.

"Are you hiding something? Did you pay with the money that we kept for the baby's stuff?" She insisted.

"Yeah, that was it." He said feeling she was not going to give up.

"Great..." She whimpered. "I can't work and now we had to spend the money we have been keeping for the baby's stuff."

"Sweetie..." James held her hand. "You heard the doctor, you can't get nervous." He looked deep into her green eyes. Rafaela nodded resigned, after all, there was not much they could do.

She ended up making her way until the car and let him drive. All the way she found him too silent, he wasn't like that with her. With most people yes, but not with her, so she knew something was either bothering him or worrying him.

"What's the matter with you? You seem tense, is something bothering you?" She asked trying to make him talk. One thing Rafaela learned about James during the year they had been together is that he used to close himself when he had a problem. She really had to push him to talk, in the end he did, but just when he thought he was ready for it.